• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo 400 rear seal question

hummer4x4guy

Guys
I need to pick your brains on the turbo 400 transmission. I have the transmission in the humvee and lately I have been having a leak near the rear where the adapter and the tcase bolt together. The quesion is: Is there a replaceable seal on the output shaft of the transmission or is the seal created between the tcase and the adapter plate?

Thanks for any help and input.

K10A

Those trucks have a unpdated trans which is a 4L80E IIRC. There is a gasket on the the trans to t case adapter and a seal on the input shaft of the t case.

Oldsouthernboy

There is a input seal on the front shaft, to get to it, remove the transmission and torque converter, remove the tuorge converter pry out the old seal, tap in the new seal, replace converter, reinstall the transmission.. Very easy to type, much harder to do. use a lot of dam tools and colorful lanuage while working.

ODdave

No seal on the rear shaft, just a rubber "O" ring on the adapter. There is a seal on the transfercase input shaft and a gasket between the t-case and adapter. Can show you adapters and 400's if you wanna see in person.....

DokWatson

Hes confusing you by saying the rear output... there is a seal where the rear driveshaft goes into the transfer case, yeah...but hes talking about the transfer case adapter between the tranny and t-case. Mine is just RTV, but paper seals are available like the above poster said.

hummer4x4guy

Thanks for atleast understanding the issue Bob... perhaps I was a smidge unclear as to the issue.. I assumed it was known it has a tcase on it.

K10A: Is there a seal kit with those two parts I can get? If so is there a PN so I dont have to watch the guys behind the counter look at me like I have two heads?

Dave thanks for showing me in person the issue and what I need to do...

hummer4x4guy

I think I found the first gasket napa pn ATP 14523 cost is .69 Finally a cheap part. But there is still the slim oring and I am having no luck on that part. If I find that pn I will post it for future users..
Thanks again for the help guys.

ODdave

Just run up to lansing trans tomarrow (straight up cedar just south of the ball field on the left). They should have the stuff in stock, and real cheap. Chances are napa wont have them in stock (Never do when we need them at work).

hummer4x4guy

Dave I will have the 1-4523 gasket in my hands in only a few hours. The only one they had was the gasket that goes on the adapter plate that faces the end of the transmission (which was also the same side with the o-ring groove)
The measurements of the gasket match the adapter plate also. So now it seems to me that the rear face of the adapter plate going to the tcase is just rtv'ed...?
*shrug*

ODdave

HMMWV & CUCV with THM 400/4L80E and a round six tcase pattern will use these seals.

square cut o-ring GM part # 8681168
round six gasket GM part # 24245110

Hope this helps you guys in the future....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks