• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo charger questions

sdasdona

i love my M1009 but living in Colorado presents some problems. At high altitude and pulling a trailer the HP goes way down and copious black smoke is produced. You would think the military has encountered this and dealt with it?? Is there a military turbo charger to solve this problem? I have checked Banks and they do not make or sell their aftermarket kit anymore. If anyone has pictures of a kit in place and helfpull information I would greatly appreciate it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy Banks turbo kits for the 6.2L from a dealer on eBay. Cost is around $2800

Remember that these trucks ate 25+ years old. Companies are cutting back on making parts for them and working on newer vehicles. Even everyday parts the parts stores will have to get them from the warehouse. Not enough room on the shelfs.

There is no "military" turbo for the CUCV that I know of.

Last edited:

sdasdona

wow thats interesting. Then the possibility of getting one off a wrecked vehicle is a possibility. I will do some research as well. The civilian K5 must have come with a turbo?? :beer:

dstang97

Have you called banks direct? If I was to do it again I would look for a used 6.5 turbo. A hmmwv turbo is way to much work to get it to fit.

dstang97

I remember following a thread where somone did this and it seemed like they had to cut a lot. Got any pictures?