• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Defecating Oil

DeuceIsLoose

Gents,

Good evening.

I got my truck about two weeks ago from Kennesaw GA (Delivered by Buckner Transport--they did a great job). We knew it was going through a lot of oil and I've been trying to figure it out since I got it.

There was so much oil at first that I couldn't figure out where it all was coming from. It looked like the engine was defecating oil on the passenger side. I Engine Brighted it and took it for a 10 mile drive and when I got back it looked like it had never been cleaned. I cleaned the underside again and had my wife hold the engine at 2K RPMs but I could never see anything coming out underneath. It was all on the passenger side so I suspected it could be the turbo. I put a radiator hose on the outlet of the turbo today and took it for another quick drive. Sure enough it looks like it's all coming out the turbo--and it's a lot. Take a look at the pics--that's after just a 3 mile drive.

I guess the reason why I couldn't see anything when my wife was on the throttle was because the truck wan't moving and the turbo didn't have any load???

Anybody have any ideas?

I also included a pic of the whole truck if anyone wants to see what they look like coming out of Kennesaw--the tires are awesome.

Thanks--I really appreciate it.

Donnie

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um , that oil is coming out of the tube you added the radiator hose to? If so thats not a turbo issue. That tube is a road draft tube and that slobber is blow by. Is it way overfull? Mine blows oil out if I run it against the governor for a while.

JDToumanian

:ditto:

Mine would dribble a bit of oil out the road draft tube until I switched to straight 30wt oil, NOT 15w-40. Now, oil consumption is zero.... But that much oil probably indicates the need for a new engine. Let's hope your crankcase is too full, eh?

Jon

DeuceIsLoose

I've been around 3 other Deuces and none of them dump oil like this one. This is a lot of oil...

It went through 2 gallons in 130 miles.

Crankcase isn't overfilled, but I am using 15W-40.

So, you all think the turbo is terminal? Or is there an easy fix? Can you give me some more info on what a runaway is?

Thanks a lot.

Donnie

Donnie

clutch

you need to have your turbo rebuilt or find a new one. a runaway is when your engine starts sucking the oil in and running on it and there is no way to stop the engine unless you can kill it with the clutch or brakes.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not only that, there are a number of places on the block on that side the oil can come from. Take the pipe off of the turo outlet and see if it is wet. If no, it isn't a turbo. Start lookin' or an external leak. After looking at the pic again, the oil is fairly clean. If the seals in the turbo were junk letting it pass out the turbine, it would be a nasty gooey black mess.

clutch

now that i look at the picture better and think about it the turbo usualy doesnt leak outside. i agree with will you need to look for an external leak or if it is coming out of the road draft tube you have some bigger engine problems.

54reo

As stated by Kenny, if the oil is coming from the road draft tube, you either have excessive blow-by (i.e. engine is worn out), or the crankcase is too full, and oil is being picked up and blown out the draft tube.

Is this were the oil is coming from?

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the above pic. There is oil on the compressor housing, like it is being sprayed onto it. Check the dipstick tube, maybe it is loose. Another trick is to clean it off, run it at idle and put a rag or your hand on the road draft tube...in short intervals..and watch for where the oil is comming from. CAUTION, If you allow too much CC pressure to build with the rag or your hand, you WILL blow out seals! SHORT INTERVALS, like 5 seconds and let off for a few and another 5. It will show up.

Barrman

Have you been filling the fuel tank up to the top instead of to the line a few inches from the top? I ask because the fuel tank vent on mine feeds into the slobber tube just above the turbo. I have twice now believed the weather forcast that it will not get warmer, filled the truck up all the way in anticipation of a long trip the next day, gotten 30 miles down the road the next day in warmer weather and found a mess all over the starter, turbo and front axle.

It is a copper and brass attachment and it seeps black oil no matter what is in the tank. At least until the fuel level goes down then all is ok again. You wrote you had engine oil consumption, so I don't think this is your problem. However, you could have another leak such as the rear main and are only noticing this one.

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Gents,

I'm pretty sure now it's coming out of the road draft tube coming off the valve covers--which I guess is good because it's not the turbo. And it's not the dipstick.

Any idea how/why so much could be coming out of that tube? The oil is not overfilled and it doesn't come out when the truck is sitting with the engine revving--only when I'm moving--and I don't have to go far.

I'm going to try to get one of my friends drive it here while I sit on the fender and look down the side of the engine to observe more.

Thanks and I'll let you know what I find.

Donnie

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UHHH, don't sit on the fender and have someone drive it, that is a sure way to NOT be able to enjoy your truck. Just plug the road draft tube and your leak will show up.

JDToumanian

I'm pretty sure now it's coming out of the road draft tube coming off the valve covers--which I guess is good because it's not the turbo.
Uh, I wouldn't call that good news...... Now, instead of needing a new turbo, you need a whole new engine!

Some blowby out that tube is acceptable - that's what it's for. But if you're spewing gallons of oil out of it, your engine is seriously clapped out..... Toasted piston tings, a hole in a piston... Good stuff like that.

I think there's a way to measure blowby in the Multifuel engine TM, and a spec for what is okay and what indicates the need for an overhaul...

Jon

I had a problem with spraying oil all over the passenger side. It was a split brass fitting on a sending unit. I wnet through about 5 gallons in 150 miles until I could get it to a shop. Ended up being a $3 part.

DeuceIsLoose

Yeah...

Well, it ran 60 mph the whole way here from Kennesaw (about 550 miles) and she still runs with lots of power. Maybe that ride here did it??

My plan is to take her to the farm in TX about 400 miles away. Any thoughts on if she'd make it--or things I could do to increase my chances?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this sounds a whole lot like some of my vehicles, when I was a kid. Sure she'll make it, and you'll be a lot smarter when you get there. Take plenty of extra oil & check the level often. I once used 17 gallons of oil between Fairbanks & Dawson Creek, BC. It was an Air Force truck. Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks