• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo or non turbo??

SCOTTWETZEL

OK, dont kill me cause I am a newbie and I did do some research and didnt find any where. How can I tell if a Deuce has a turbo or non turbo engine? I dont know what engine does and doesnt. Again Im very interested in these vehicles and am trying to learn as much as possible. Again please settle down on the flaming on me. Thanks for any response.

Westech

CPL
Well not to sound like a Jerk or anything.. but look. Open the Hood and look for the turbo on the right side of the engine. You can not tell by vin, contract, ect.. numbers.

SCOTTWETZEL

Well not to sound like a Jerk or anything.. but look. Open the Hood and look for the turbo on the right side of the engine. You can not tell by vin, contract, ect.. numbers.
What if the vehicle is not present? How can I tell? Im talking about when your looking at online auctions.

citizensoldier

If your looking at just a picture check for a smaller exhaust stack and a muffler peeking out from the passenger fender. Also like westy said.. look on the passenger side of the engine for a big honking thing of ma jig that goes Wrrrrrrrrr...Wrrrrrrrr... Just playing and welcome to the site.:-D

SCOTTWETZEL

If your looking at just a picture check for a smaller exhaust stack and a muffler peeking out from the passenger fender. Also like westy said.. look on the passenger side of the engine for a big honking thing of ma jig that goes Wrrrrrrrrr...Wrrrrrrrr... Just playing and welcome to the site.:-D
Thanks guys... I guess i could look at the price on them....if there really cheap, none turbo, lol!

But as of the engine codes none specify turbo? weird

Rolling_Eudaimonia

What if the vehicle is not present? How can I tell? Im talking about when your looking at online auctions.
Exhaust Stack Diameter 5 inches will be with a Turbo and it will be visibly larger in diameter in decent photo non-turbo's about 3inches and will be smaller when compared. That is the easiest way to do so if you cannot see one in a photo.

maybefixit

One problem appears to be that there were a lot of retrofits, and rebuilds. The engine codes LD-465 indicates a non-turbo, LDT-465-C is whistler turbo, LDT-465-D is non-whistler turbo, but the turbochargers were added on to reduce smoke and not to add power. I'm not sure if the Army may have added turbos to LD-465 engines during an overhaul or not. It appears that members here have traded 'c' turbos for 'd' and vice versa, depending on how they like the sound. The non-turbo and turbo models were both rated around 130hp.

Also GL does not do a great job of maintaining accuracy on their descriptions. The turbo will be on the passenger side of the engine, and a non-turbo wrecker or 5 ton will often have the air cleaner can out on the fender, but the Deuce tends to just have a 'mushroom' air intake exposed.

ETHOS

mine is a turbo, and i do not think it is 5 inch diameter

lemme see if i have pics of a turbo on mine, i will add an arrow to point to das turbine

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats not entirerly true. The turbos are C and D respectivly, but the motor code does not reflect which it is. Also, All the 5tons will have an air filter on the fender, unless its a gasser. I have never seen a non turbo multi in a 5ton.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbo is 3.5 inch exhaust. Non turbo is 2.5 inch Cummins in 5-tons are non-turbo, Multi's in 5-ton are turbo

avengeusa

here is what a turbo looks like, the first pic is of the actual turbo, the second pic shows the top of the engine, the turbo itself is actually hidden, but you can see it from the passenger side of the truck with the hood up

Attachments

KaiserM109

here is what a turbo looks like, the first pic is of the actual turbo, the second pic shows the top of the engine, the turbo itself is actually hidden, but you can see it from the passenger side of the truck with the hood up
The key to telling a turbo in the GL photos is the connector to the aircleaner (see attached photo taken from avengeusa's post). My M109A3 is non-turbo. On a non-turbo the connector is about 2 inches longer and doesn't have the slight bulge in the middle.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So r there more non turbo deuces then turbo deuces for sale out there?
No. Most you run across will have a turbo. Even most of the original non-turbo trucks and some gassers have been converted to turbo by the military if they are recently released from the Gov. That and the fact that many more turbo trucks were produced through out their production run.