• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo question

tguinn

I have a D turbo in my Deuce currently, i feel like it has too much play in the shaft, (feels like 1/16"), will a C turbo work till I rebuild the D turbo?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I have a D turbo in my Deuce currently, i feel like it has too much play in the shaft, (feels like 1/16"), will a C turbo work till I rebuild the D turbo?
Side to side or in-out play?

And yes a C will directly drop in no mods required as far as I’m aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Is that a dry or wet test? Meaning, have you ran the engine prior to checking play?

I ask because It is normal on most all turbos to have a little extra play after oil has drained away

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’d recommend running it, and re checking after shutoff. See how much of a difference it makes and let us know

Crf450x

Side to side play is normal. As long as it's not rubbing the housing you're fine. They use journal bearings so that gap is filled with pressurized oil, similar to rod/main bearings.

tguinn

I plan on starting up the truck when i get a little farther along , but before i put any sheet metal, ( hood, fenders, etc), to check for leaks and address anything that pops up. I will check the play after i run it and then see how much play there is. I misread the turbo code on the one I was looking at, it is a D turbo, went ahead and bought it, is a NOS one, and got a good deal, so either way I will have a spare.

tguinn

Follow up; After bringing truck up to temp., let the turbo cool off enough to remove the exhaust elbow. Like was mentioned, the play is
almost nonexistent. I appreciate everyone's input.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you have the anti drainback oil filters on your truck. If not then sometimes in the first 90 seconds of engine run you will hear the turbo stop screaming when it finally gets lube oil. All lube oil drains to pan on shutdown as per design.

tguinn

Do you have the anti drainback oil filters on your truck. If not then sometimes in the first 90 seconds of engine run you will hear the turbo stop screaming when it finally gets lube oil. All lube oil drains to pan on shutdown as per design.
Yes, made that switch over the winter, along with several other changes. Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks