• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Rebuild 3LJ-319 (Whistler)

JCKnife

So far I am not able to get the two halves of the turbo apart. I've got the clamp ring removed, and I've been tapping and hitting all around the seam with putty knives, screwdrivers, a chisel; let it soak in PB Blaster overnight. Today I am trying a combo of ATF and acetone around the seam, to see if that can soak in and break up the rust. But so far no dice.

JCKnife

Finally got the halves apart! Turns out the guy swinging the hammer needed more lube. Had a couple beers and hit the chisel harder than I thought I should...and it came right apart.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379983940.726947.jpg

JasonS

I've heated them up to get the housing to expand and hammered a screwdriver between the halves. The rebuild manual warns against doing this.....

Dipstick

I bought the "Whistler 3LJ-319" kit from J&H myself. When I discovered someone had taken a grinder to my exhaust turbine blades, I decided to replace it with a new turbo. I sold my kit to another member. Good luck with your rebuild. Wscougarx's post is awesome.

JCKnife

I bought the "Whistler 3LJ-319" kit from J&H myself. When I discovered someone had taken a grinder to my exhaust turbine blades, I decided to replace it with a new turbo. I sold my kit to another member. Good luck with your rebuild. Wscougarx's post is awesome.
I'm not sure where my whistler kit came from--I got it from Gimpy. But I was looking for a NON-whistler (D) kit to rebuild the D I'm taking off the truck. J&H says they have one, but it's based on the code I gave them from the OP, which JasonS is calling into question. Confused yet? :confused:

JCKnife

A word of warning: the lockring (shown in post #4, pic 2) bent (read: mangled) my snap-ring pliers on the first try. Looks like I need to buy a heavy-duty pair!

JCKnife

wsucougarx, where did you get the gaskets as shown in Post #10, pic #5?

(2 gaskets for the oil fittings and one where it mates to the exhaust manifold)

Edit: I went ahead and ordered them at J&H Diesel, I imagine you got them there too. I sent them your photo for reference. For me it was $25.78 shipped for all 3 (just over $5 for shipping).

Thanks again for this thread.

Last edited:

JasonS

I'm not sure where my whistler kit came from--I got it from Gimpy. But I was looking for a NON-whistler (D) kit to rebuild the D I'm taking off the truck. J&H says they have one, but it's based on the code I gave them from the OP, which JasonS is calling into question. Confused yet? :confused:
I've got two "d" turbos on the shelf and both are 3LM-39.

JCKnife

Autozone has a torque wrench in inch-lbs as part of their free loan-a-tool program. I just took the turbo in and tightened it at their counter. I can't imagine when I'm going to need inch-lbs again so didn't see a reason to buy the tool.

JCKnife

For getting the two halves back together tightly, I had limited success with a rubber mallet but then discovered that an axle nut socket is just the right size to press down on the exhaust side without damaging the small lip that sticks out, so I was able to use the arbor press.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380634066.911791.jpg

JCKnife

Well, the operation was a success. She's a whistler now. I am going to hang on to the D turbo and see if I can come up with a rebuild kit for it. And as much oil as it had been putting out, I suppose it's natural that a couple drops will still come out the first few times I run her. Wish I could go for a drive down the road but she's nowhere near ready.

Jadin666

First off Great pic of the rebuild:D and second I just pic up one of the turbos for around $130 and wanted to find out where you purchased the rebuild kit from (web site)? and where do I find the specs like boost operating temp ect... I have a 1978 K5 with a turbo charged 6.2l Diesel and want to put this turbo on the truck. I have seen it done before just wanted to get more info on the turbo. And of course the awesome step by step rebuild you did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks