• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo slober

usmc deuce cpl

I have a kenworth that has 889000 miles on a N14 cummins that runs delo 400 15W-40. No overhaul yet. so hows that for life. Now this engine is a newer gen engine but the new oils should not cause problems. just my 2cents

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial

Jon, Your opinions are very much welcome. My intention is only to provide another point of view, and create some discussion on the issue.

What is this API rating you have that shows a multi-grade oil is "better" than a single weight? In years of research, I have never heard of such a thing.... I use Chevron DELO 400 S.A.E. 30 and it meets the EXACT SAME SPEC as Chevron DELO 400 15w-40. Same API seal on the bottle.

From your example (links) the single weight Chevron Delo 400 does not meet CI, CI-4, CI-4 Plus, or CH, however the Chevron and Rotella multigrade do. (Some of the Rotella single weight rates API CF-4 others rate CF-2 - the chart is screwed up so i deleted it)

To better illustrate the API ratings I removed the manufacturers specs for clarity. CJ-4 rating is due out soon. The comprssion ignition ratings are what is important for this forum. I try not to put too much credit in the marking hype.

--------------------------------------------

Chveron 400 (single grade)

API Service Categories

— CF, CD1, SG1, SH1

— SL (SAE 20, 30, 40, 50)

— CE1 (SAE 30)

--------------------------------------------

Chevron Delo

400 Multigrade

API Service Categories CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4,

CG-4, CF-41, CF, CE1, CD1, SL, SJ, SH1, SG1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shell ROTELLA® T SAE (single grade)

API CF-4, SJ

API CF-2
API CF, SH

----------------------------------

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 (multigrade)

• API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
  • API SL, SJ, SH

-------------------------------------------------

Shell ROTELLA® T SAE 15W- 40 (multi-grade) API CI - 4 PLUS,

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Very interesting data. Thanks for posting it Jim! I will digest it for a while.... I'm like an accurate, reliable but really slow computer, after you hit 'enter' nothing happens for some time while it 'thinks'. :-D

b.t.w. - The number after the rating indicates the type of engine the oil if for... For example, CF-4 is for 4-stroke engines, CF-2 is for 2-stroke engines (like Detroit Diesels).

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
" For example, CF-4 is for 4-stroke engines, CF-2 is for 2-stroke engines (like Detroit Diesels). "

Thanks for the schooling. I tried to find that info, got tired yesterday, and gave up. The synthetics seem to be the best , but I am to cheap to use it [in a crankcase]. It is better because the molecular structure is very consistent. Refined mineral oil is a mix of many different molecules. Some are less desirable than others, I think any modern straight (or multi) is far better than the vintage oils that were around in, say, 71'.

thehaas

my turbo was dripping oil while at idle just started one day took turbo out play in shaft making oil leak past .replace new one no more leak plus whistles now and not befoe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks