• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo spins, but does not work

Andrews CC

What would cause a C turbo to appear to be in good condition and operating correctly, but not be spinning fast enough to build any pressure or make any noise?

I have the intake and exhaust disconnected, and I can see the blades turn. I have a 15 pound pressure gauge on the intake manifold that reads a half pound at 2000 RPM. Have ran it for a hour on the road, and no noise, and lot of black smoke.

If I have to replace it, I would prefer to find a rebuilt D turbo.

Suggestions?

jwaller

the turbo will only make normal boost while the eng is under load. where are you taking your readings from?

sounds like there is some kind of leak in your inlet manifold or a busted hose somewhere.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a turbo that the bearings went out on that did what you describe. Grasp the end of the turbine wheel shaft on the intake side when it is cool ant try hard to move it up and down, checking for looseness. It should only move a few thousandths. Ours moved about 1/8" or so. When this failure happens, the turbine wheels rub the side of the turbo snail, preventing it from spooling up to normal speed.
Regards Marti

Andrews CC

Thanks guys,

I took off the C turbo, everything looks OK, spins by hand nice an quiet, but I can feel a little lateral play in the shaft.

Where is the best place to have it rebuilt, or better yet, to trade it for a rebuilt D turbo

poppop

The last farm tractor I rebuilt I did the turbo myself. Not that complicated. I did not need any major parts just bearing and seals. Cost about $75.00. Tractor has 170 hours it since and turbo is doinf fine. Most injection shops do turbos also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks