• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo talk

Oilleaker1

The cool sound of a c turbo is great, a D turbo is quieter. I read it is bigger. Correct? Which one gives the better power and fuel mileage??? I do have to admit if you like the smell of diesel exhaust ( I do) the whine or whistle is mighty cool. Is it hard to swap a D for a C whistler??? Cost???? I'm " in the process of getting a M35A2. Wish me luck, John

Chevytruck

- D turbo is quieter than a C
- D turbo usually costs less (don't know the price)
- Turbos are interchangeable on a deuce that already is setup for a turbo
- no difference in economy/mileage between turbos
- D has very slightly more pressure than a C

with that good luck in your journey of getting a deuce :)

AdvancedArmsLLC

My experience is limited to gasoline engine....but an engine is an air pump....
The more air you pack into the cyliders the more power.

So I have to disagree, air is a bigger part of the power making equatiion.

In naturally aspirated application you need more CI

In force fed apps....add more boost. It is best to use a turbo that is efficent for your application - boost, engine size, operating range. Cooling the air charge is a major help too.

I run 20psi of boost on a street car, with a large air to air intercooler. The injectors are only 100cc larger than stock, backed up with a big fuel pump. The turbo is happy medium between too large and too small...I get quick spool up, but unlike a turbo that is too small, I am not over heating the air. I use a small/simple unit to ajust the fuel via maniuplation of the singnal from air flow meter. My adjustments are based on EGT and 02 sensor voltage..I use a 02 voltage range in place of an A/F ratio, but use an A/f gauge as a quick visual for a safe mix.

She runs like a scalled dog....so my experience = more air = more power

AdvancedArmsLLC

The objective of a turbocharger is the same as a supercharger; to improve the engine's volumetric efficiency by solving one of its cardinal limitations. A naturally aspirated automobile engine uses only the downward stroke of a piston to create an area of low pressure in order to draw air into the cylinder through the intake valves. Because the pressure in the atmosphere is no more than 1 atm (approximately 14.7 psi), there ultimately will be a limit to the pressure difference across the intake valves and thus the amount of airflow entering the combustion chamber. Because the turbocharger increases the pressure at the point where air is entering the cylinder, a greater mass of air (oxygen) will be forced in as the inlet manifold pressure increases. The additional air flow makes it possible to maintain the combustion chamber pressure and fuel/air load even at high engine revolution speeds, increasing the power and torque output of the engine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I think we ALL know what purpose the turbo serves. It still doesn't create the power, adding fuel does. Granted adding fuel and air help each other out, but the turbo does nothing without the fuel.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spark ignition is different than compression ignition. Diesel fuel pumps only meter a specific amount of fuel into the cylinder. Without increasing the fuel rate, no more power will be made no matter how "big" the turbo is.

BTW, welcome to Steelsoldiers! How'd you find out about us? Nice website...too bad you're too far from me!

Last edited:

AdvancedArmsLLC

Thank you for the welcome and the compliments on my website.

Yes...diesels are something I need an education on....I'll get there...

I have joined the forum b/c I have the Duece bug.....and like any serious hardware I get into, I like to learn as much as possible. I banged out the -10 one night.
I have been checking a couple trucks out. I have been out to Kublos Surplus...lots a truck.... nice people...not a bad option for my 1st truck purchase.

I let a really nice truck slip through my fingers on ebay....another SS member's truck as a matter of fact.....53 REO is great shape...it went for a killer deal.

I am really Jones-in (sp?) for excellent condition M135 or M211...I just love the looks.

My big problem is I do not have the time to restore a truck...I am too busy at the shop.....my turbo sport car only see a couple hundred miles a year.

So my dream is to find a parade ready truck....turn key...something I can enjoy.

The good news is I have a couple local MV nuts to enjoy the hobby with and one has a warehouse where I will garage my future duece....it will be at home with his M37, Jeep, staff car, and his project M135.

The forum is definitely helping to build my knowledge.
It seems the SS members are great and the post are higher quality....no much trash talking....like so many other forums....

Thanks for having me !!!

Last edited:

Kohburn

fuel without oxygen is useless, you need both. if an engine is running properly (not short on either) then the only way to get more power is by adding both more fuel and more air (or reducing power lossed to friction or heat, but no need to get into that)

Oilleaker1

Thanks for all comments guys! I have a Dodge Cummins pickup with the 5.9 12 valve and am familiar with how a diesel is tuned and turned up. The D type turbo is more common than the C ?????? How do you tell the two apart other than the sound????? I too am new here, but not to military vehicles. The people on all sites treat others well and I'm glad to participate with all. Makes the hobby much more pleasant and rewarding. :DJohn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks