• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo'd woes

glaser06

Well, I do love my new banks turbo kit. But now it would appear I have an air leak somewhere in my fuel delivery system.

While cruising at speeds under 55 (20-45 is most noticeable) the motor will surge in power and rpms. Most noticeable when cold, unnoticeable while accelerating. The motor will also have major surges if I lift off the accelerator and left the truck slow on its own.

I'm pretty sure it's air, what I want to know is does anyone have any tips or tricks for locating leaks / confirming that air is present?

Side note: I did just install the turbo kit, had almost everything open, and drove 700 miles on the highway with a trailer the day I finished the conversion. Didn't notice the surging at cruise but then again all highway(55+). Did notice it when slowing down though.

Sent from atop the porcelain throne.

richingalveston

replace the fuel line between the filter and IP with some clear tubing. need something that will hold up to diesel. you will see bubbles it there is an air problem, use extra line so you can bring it up into a loop with a high point. This will make seeing the bubbles easier.

sounds more like an IP problem. Did you rebuild IP when adding turbo?

Air bubbles normally make it stall not surge. And normally your air leak will be apparent at all rpms and at idle.

Check your cold start advance and warm up advance and make sure they are working properly and not sticking on once the truck is up to temp. If the truck is warm, unplug the green wires from the IP, they are only needed when the engine is cold. drive it and see if anything changes. your throttle and timing advance in the IP may have problems.

glaser06

replace the fuel line between the filter and IP with some clear tubing. need something that will hold up to diesel. you will see bubbles it there is an air problem, use extra line so you can bring it up into a loop with a high point. This will make seeing the bubbles easier.

sounds more like an IP problem. Did you rebuild IP when adding turbo?

Air bubbles normally make it stall not surge. And normally your air leak will be apparent at all rpms and at idle.

Check your cold start advance and warm up advance and make sure they are working properly and not sticking on once the truck is up to temp. If the truck is warm, unplug the green wires from the IP, they are only needed when the engine is cold. drive it and see if anything changes. your throttle and timing advance in the IP may have problems.
Thanks, will be trying this. Did not rebuild IP, only turned up 1/4 turn from (what I assume was) stock.

I can snag some clear tubing from home Depot today and give this a try.

Will update on green wire as I drive home from hardware store.

glaser06

Disconnected green wires from IP and high idle solenoid. No difference from when connected.

Took careful note of how truck behaved during drive this time. Surging was noticeable from 35-55mph, was barely noticeable above 55 or at low speed of at all.

Did notice that at gentle acceleration from 40-50 mph there is a distinct jump around 45mph, almost like someone hit the motor with a shot of ether. Tried this several times and it was repeatable almost every time.

Will be checking for air this weekend in the LP to IP line.

richingalveston

try turning your pump back to where it was before turning it up, see if that helps. Really sounds like the IP is not operating correctly. fuel delivery and air problems happen at all speeds and idle. You have something happing at specific rpms and loads on motor so this is probably an internal IP issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks