• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turboing a 6.2l build (another one)

Dsilverline

It was a big day today! Got this baby running! Pretty exciting starting it up. Everything looked good, just a quick fix for a leaky injector line (thank god it wasnt under the turbo manifold. This thing sounds mean as hell, still going to build a CAI, install exhaust, tune boost etc etc but it runs and drives. Can't wait to get it fully finished and go offroad, I'll post a pic when I have the final product for sure. Wooooo

Dsilverline

Alright, the day has come- this project is complete!!! It's been a long project but good to stick with something and spend time doing everything as high quality as I possibly could.

Some last little items I had to do - Didn't end up building a cold air intake, realized there was plenty of fresh air near the old intake port, set it up as you see here- the whole thing needed support so I bent up some aluminum bar to make a little cradle I could run a long hose clamp through to secure the filter.

Couldn't find any turbo braces new or used and thought it would be fun to fabricate some out of steel and happy how those turned out.

Got the exhaust installed enough to run and drive, going to have a fab shop build a nicer crossover and downpipe section out of stainless.

Attachments

Dsilverline

Aaannndddd video!

Prolly wondering how it drives? It's great, totally different truck now. Pulls hard, can really get moving, much lower EGTs. The diamond eye exhaust sounds mean. Turbo whistle is really cool. I think the custom injection pump and full size downpipe/crossover are probably helping in the performance department. It's pretty damn fun.

chevymike

That's awesome!!! I am seriously looking to do this to my M1010. I time 0-60mph with a sundial so it needs something. I have been considering doing a EFI BBC but would like to keep the diesel.

Where did you get most of your parts?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing special for the turbo really, yep, it's a GM8, works for me!
I have what I believe to be a GM4, it doesn't whistle like that... Shouldn't be much different then the GM8? Maybe it's the stock exhaust? I need to get that diamond eye exhaust + crossover asap lol And a HX40... Damn covid,. I need to limit my spending, I have to keep a decent buffer for a potential second lockdown.

Mike, you have multiple options. Find a Banks kit, find a donor truck or engine or go with something like this.

Dsilverline

Bought parts from all over the place: Amazon, eBay, Summit, Pensacola Diesel, Heath diesel, Conestoga Diesel (haha!), Silicone Intakes, hardware stores, and maybe some more I'm forgetting? lol

The one side of going the GM route is there is a lot of items you need to source, it's fun in the aspect that you get to sort of design the system yourself but takes time for sure.

I didn't want to go with Banks mainly because as I understand it, the non-wastegated smaller turbo doesnt produce much boost in low RPMs, exactly where I want it when off-roading, in addition to the fact it wouldn't fit with my AC retrofit system. In retrospect I would have considered that HX40II bolt-on kit you just posted Rutjes. The price really isn't that bad, not sure in what ways it compares to a GM8 though. For the 6.2s we don't really need more boost since 10 is tops anyway, for me spool up time is most important.

chevymike

Mike, you have multiple options. Find a Banks kit, find a donor truck or engine or go with something like this.
Thanks for the info. Sadly in San Diego, 6.5" diesels are not very common to find so going to be hard to find an engine/donor. Banks kits are almost as bad to find plus I know there is no way it will work with the M1010 dual pass. side alts (which are larger than M1008). I am not 100% sure the GM system will clear. Need to look at my clearance and compare to your pics.

Dsilverline

I have what I believe to be a GM4, it doesn't whistle like that... Shouldn't be much different then the GM8? Maybe it's the stock exhaust?
I did a little reading and from what I found it's typical that a more free flowing downpipe and exhaust will enhance the turbo whistle goodness, I mean plus the added performance ha. Might as well get all that and a better crossover and let the puppy breath!

keith129

Aaannndddd video!

Prolly wondering how it drives? It's great, totally different truck now. Pulls hard, can really get moving, much lower EGTs. The diamond eye exhaust sounds mean. Turbo whistle is really cool. I think the custom injection pump and full size downpipe/crossover are probably helping in the performance department. It's pretty damn fun.
Looks like what I am thinking of doing to my 85. How much have you got in it so far? Also do you have a parts list?

Keith_J

Nice. I'm going a different route. Twin turbos. Two smaller variable geometry units with a combined mass flow of 40 pounds per minute.
Exhaust manifolds will be from 1-1/2 Sch 5S weld fittings with turbos mounted between the two inner cylinders.
Intake will be a modified stock unit blanked off. The smaller diameter plumbing should make this project easier.

I still don't have a good volumetric efficiency map for this engine so boost programming will be conservative at first. No more than 8 PSI gauge.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. I'm going a different route. Twin turbos. Two smaller variable geometry units with a combined mass flow of 40 pounds per minute.
Exhaust manifolds will be from 1-1/2 Sch 5S weld fittings with turbos mounted between the two inner cylinders.
Intake will be a modified stock unit blanked off. The smaller diameter plumbing should make this project easier.

I still don't have a good volumetric efficiency map for this engine so boost programming will be conservative at first. No more than 8 PSI gauge.
Please photo document your project for all of us to see those twin blowers.

Keith_J

Please photo document your project for all of us to see those twin blowers.
Need a bag of round tuits. Work has been eating me alive.
I bought manifolds from Hillbilly to mock up..looks like 1-1/2 Sch 5S is perfect as exhaust port spacing is 4.5 inches. This size pipe (1.9 inch OD, 0.065 wall thickness) can be formed to match existing ports, no stretch. The weld tee is also 4.5 inches long. Serendipity.
I bought a pilot arc plasma torch, stubby gas lens kit for my TIG torch and a new TIG button torch control. All for this project.

Since I will keep EGT below 1100°F, 304 stainless is fine. Some say 321 is better but that is for gasoline engines. So I have scads of 308L filler in 0.065"

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a little reading and from what I found it's typical that a more free flowing downpipe and exhaust will enhance the turbo whistle goodness, I mean plus the added performance ha. Might as well get all that and a better crossover and let the puppy breath!
Installed a Diamond Eye exhaust and crossover on my K1500. It whistles now. Not as loud as the turbod 6.2 on my mates M1008 though. Maybe it's because he gets up to 14 PSI of boost and I have mine set to max 7 PSI? I think the 14 PSI on his is way too much, as far as we know he doesn't have ARP studs or thicker head gaskets, Right now the vacuum actuator is hooked up to the vacuum pump on top of the back side of the block so I ordered him a turbo spool stick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks