• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn Signal Issue

kburns2

I am having a strange turn signal issue on my M1009. It is an 86 if that matters. When I got the truck a few months ago, the turn signal stalk was loose and floppy. Engaging the right turn was fine, but it is very hard to engage the left turn signal. When I could get the left signal to engage, it would not cancel after the turn. The right signal works fine. So I figured that I needed to replace the turn signal switch and I did. Nothing changed. While changing it, I am new to this type of stuff, I discovered the wiper switch that was kinda behind and to the left of the turn signal switch. I figured that might be the problem, so I replaced it as well. Now the stalk is no long loose and floppy, but I still am having issues engaging the left signal and it won't cancel after a left turn. The right turn is still fine.

My conclusion now is that the turn signal switch was fine and the floppy issue was caused by the wiper switch, but I can't figure out the left turn. It is like the opening for the control stalk is too small and that I need to make it bigger so that the stalk can move further down to engage the left signal. That might fix the problem, but I have to think there is a better solution as I am pretty sure it didn't come from the factory that way.

Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas on what I need to do?

Thanks,

Keith

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS

Issue has been discussed many times.
Suggest a search and reading.

I had same issue and also a horn issue.
Replaced turn signal switch with NOS GM part that I found on eBay.
Solved both problems at once and lever solidly clicks and lever isn’t sloppy.

The Cheap off brand parts store ones I’ve read about don’t click very well.
Even the new production ACDELCO switch, while better that the rest, don’t have the super solid click or clunk as you select a turn direction. It’s much softer.

The NOS one do, if you can find them.
Haven’t looked on eBay for them in quite a while.

Sounding like maybe your possible issue.

LastFbody

Think I had this issue when I changed my ignition cylinder. Theres a metal finger with kind of a ball on the end that screws into the plastic turn signal assembly, with the ball sitting in a groove on the turn signal lever itself. Mine fit kinda loose and only worked one way, the ball part almost always slipped out of the groove in the turn signal lever when pulling the lever up.

I bent that little metal arm inwards just a bit, now it has a super solid bite on the turn signal lever and doesn't even try to slip out.

kburns2

Tinstar, I did do some searching and I couldn't find my issue. Of course, it really depends upon the search terms you use. I did find lots of problems and solutions for turn signal issues, but not mine. I did search on ebay and think I found what you were talking about. Is this the version of the part you were talking about?

LastFbody, Thanks for the info. I have the same metal finger and I will give that a try as well. It could very well be slipping out of the groove. I didn't check that.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tinstar, I did do some searching and I couldn't find my issue. Of course, it really depends upon the search terms you use. I did find lots of problems and solutions for turn signal issues, but not mine. I did search on ebay and think I found what you were talking about. Is this the version of the part you were talking about?
Thanks
You cannot post a link to an active eBay auction per site rules.
But yes, that’s it.

Last edited by a moderator: