• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turn signal issues

SgtMajHarper

I have the newer style solid state flasher conversion on my truck. This has been an on again / off again issue for a couple years that started as a one off then started happening more and more overt a couple of years to where now its almost just not working at all. You start out and it works fine (maybe), sometime later you turn it on and it may / may not work or decides to come on if you leave the lever activated, then goes off. Lately when I first flip the lever I get a quickie flash on the indicator light looking like it's trying to work then nothing.

I unplugged the connectors to make sure no gunk, etc.,. everything nice n clean, all wires are nice n tight, nothing there. I used a test light in a couple locations and have steady power going to the flasher and the switch lever; but when the flasher is unplugged, the front turn signal light bulbs and rears come on steady (odd). Also get a steady on with the indicator light on the turn signal lever.

Without anything else to go on I'm going to install a new flasher box and see if that is the fix.

dmetalmiki

Check all the grounding (Earth) wiring. That sound typical of an earthing issue.
If you put a hot (Live) wire to the connector at the switch, first to the right and then left it should light the left rear and front, or right rear and front, Nothing else.

SgtMajHarper

Check all the grounding (Earth) wiring. That sound typical of an earthing issue.
If you put a hot (Live) wire to the connector at the switch, first to the right and then left it should light the left rear and front, or right rear and front, Nothing else.
10-4.......I'll check for grounds.......thanks much.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, advice is advice......I'll try it because what I have been doing so far doesn't work a lick. (I'm blaming it on 2020)
Yeah! Your truck has the Chinese Virus... That's it! :cool:

I hate it for you. My S&S M1088 is supposed to have self cancelling turn signals. The "self cancel" part seems to work properly about half the time. Similar but different. Frustrating all the same.

GOOD LUCK on your repair!

SgtMajHarper

Checked the grounds and to be double sure cleaned them up and retightened, nadda. Weird.......gremlins.

SgtMajHarper

So I tried the easy way out, looked in the easy to reach places like under the hood, inside the turn signal switch itself with no joy...installed a NIB solid state turn signal unit. Now I get a left turn blink just like you want, then flip to the right and I get 4 ways flashing. I'm kinda thinking I have a wire shorted out somewhere making my issues. I've decided I'm going to start under the dash and start separating wires from each other working my way to the tail lights and see what I find.....when I have a little more time and it's warmer outside.

glenn715

Check your bulbs first. I've seen where a dual filament bulb has one filament burn out onto the other filament and do some weird stuff. Also try isolating different parts of the circuit to try to pinpoint the problem to one specific area. Example unplug rear tail light harness and see if problem is still there, if it goes away then problem is in rear section.

SgtMajHarper

Thanks much Glean....good advice and kinda where I was thinking of trying next wiring wise.....hadn't thought about the bulbs being the culprit.....all I need now is some warmer weather and less wind. I've been busy tinkering on the Goat lately and been distracted off of the M715.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks