• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal problem

liljohn

Hey all,

After church today my bride-to-be is gonna be modeling her dress for the future in-laws. As such, I have to find somewhere else to be. :lol: Anyway the natural destination is down in the barn to work on the Deuce. :D

Anyway last time I was home I had checked out all the lights, and all the lights are working, but the turn signals are not. I didn't get a chance to poke into it then, was gonna take a look this afternoon. Anyone have suggestions as to where I can start my search? Any common points of failure for these systems?

2deuce

My turn signals have gone out twice now. 1st time it was the flasher. Last week it was the switch. I think I need to be more careful/diligent about turning them off. They seem to get hot pretty fast.

liljohn

Well it turns out my brake lights don't work either, and from some putzing around it seems to be the multi-switch... :roll: So now I gotta mess around with that... blech.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tomorrow I will be checking circuits on mine, I have left turn signals, but not right. Front and rear turn signals work on left side, neither front nor rear work. When I turn on the blinkers for the right, the light on the stalk blinks, so at least it is quasi working. Will start checking circuits tomorrow.

rizzo

Re: RE: Turn signal problem

liljohn said:
Well it turns out my brake lights don't work either, and from some putzing around it seems to be the multi-switch... :roll: So now I gotta mess around with that... blech.
are you turning the switch on to the right setting so that the signals and brakes work?

2deuce

RE: Re: RE: Turn signal problem

Mine weren't working on the right side either. Everything else was working. Took my switch apark and the circuit board was fried for the right side. To bad the switch isn't designed so you could replace that board.

davemccoull

turn signal fault

Had a similar fault on mine, no brake lights, only one turn signal at rear, turn signals at front O.K.
After much searching, and switch changing, found a bunch of wires going to solid state flasher unit, one of them had cut thru, on the sharp edge of the L/H inner fender. repaired this, and cable tied up out of harms way, SORTED.
Maybe you could check you,rs out , there easy to see and to get to!
Good luck
Dave.

liljohn

RE: turn signal fault

Yep, I know I have the multi-switch on the right setting. In fact, I tried it at pretty much every setting combination there is!

I checked all the wires around the flasher unit as suggested, no problem there.

The big thing is I DID get the flashers to briefly flash (a second or two) once while wiggling around the switches on the multi-switch. I'm 90% positive my problem lies there. So far I haven't found any loose/cut wiring around it, but then again it's a rats nest under there, so... :roll:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

citizensoldier

I have the same problem?

I am having the same problem with my M37.. Let me know what you find if you fix it. I am going to redo all the ground wires for starters but I cant find why the brakes and blinkers have quit on me.

2deuce

RE: I have the same problem?

I would say disassemble your switch for a look see. Mine was obviously burnt on the right side. I was hoping for some corrosion I could clean up but that wasn't the case.

liljohn

Re: RE: I have the same problem?

2deuce said:
I would say disassemble your switch for a look see. Mine was obviously burnt on the right side. I was hoping for some corrosion I could clean up but that wasn't the case.
I'm thinking about it. I'm leaving to go back to Dayton in just a bit, but I may pull the switch and take it with me to work on. Can't take it on the road as is anyways.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: I have the same problem?

After some minor investigation (haven't had the time to really tear into it) it appears it is the switch. When g/f was backing the truck up last night, I noticed I don't have a right brakelight.

Going rate on new switches seems to be about $49-Anyone have a cheaper source for new?

liljohn

I brought my multi-switch down with me, looks like it's gonna be a royal biaaatch to get apart. Not gonna happen without some modification... but doable. I'll take pics and post progress...

DrFoster

anyone have a wiring diagram for the signal/brakes/flashers/switch circuits? Wallew has his right turn signals out too and the switch looked partially ok, but I'll replace it anyhow.

I did locate a short causing dim flashes on the right side when using the 4-ways but the r-blinker is still 10-7

liljohn

Ok, I got my multiswitch apart, and it could definitely use some contact cleaning!

It's a bit of a pain to get apart (unfortunately the process involved some dremeling - nothing that will affect the operation but I still didn't like doing it) but once it is it's very easy to work on.

Once I get the parts in some daylight (my apartment isn't very well lit - sorry) I'll get some pics and do a write-up on the whole process, start to finish.

Seeing what I see now, you shouldn't need a new multiswitch unless you've REALLY busted yours. They're pretty straightforward inside. Not much to break.

liljohn

Hey all. As promised, my write-up of the teardown, cleaning and rebuild of my light multiswitch is in the electrical section. Enjoy.

moreorles2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I guess that I should not complain because all my turn signals work except for the indicator bulb on the switch. There is no PN on the glass bulb or the base of the bulb. Anybody have any idea as to what the NAPA part number is that works in this 24v application? Thanks :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks