• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal switch rebuild

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turn signals quit.
I replaced the flasher.
Then noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the switch.
Also heard a click under the dash I'm assuming was a relay tripping.
Can the switch be cleaned?
Have not taken it apart yet.
Or
Does it need replaced.
Has any one ever used a aftermarket switch....

fleetmech

Well, I know for sure the switch can be taken apart and cleaned. Letting the smoke out is usually a sign that things are pretty fried inside, ability to repair will be determined by exactly what has broken. I doubt any of the internal contacts are available separately, so if things are melted inside, you'll probably be replacing the switch, or maybe crafting a new part if you are very handy with very small metal bits.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, that - the original turn signal switch on my truck did that. I opened it up and it had some blackening of contacts and otherwise looked healthy. I am not the world's greatest electrician and so I just checked and cleaned everything, re-assembled it and it never worked again. Nada. Nothing. Got fed up and bought a new one.
I still have the broken one in case I get so bored one day that I have to have another go at it. Hasn't happened, yet.

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took it off and opened it up.
Looked fine inside.
Saw no decoloration of the contacts.
In mine I ran a separate ground to the steering column.
Looked like was rusty , so I sanded it put it back together and worked as it should.
I also to the new blinker unit off and put the old one on and works as it should.