• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signals don't work in Serv light position?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
My M35A2 turn signals work when I have the switch set to "stop light", but does not work when I have it set to "serv light" and the headlights are on. All the other lights work fine. I swapped out the turn signal switch, and the combo switch. Any ideas what might be causing this or would you suggest this being the usual grounding problems that I have read about here?
Thanks,
Ethan

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I spent part of the day checking lights and grounds on my deuce trying to get the turn signals to work when the serv position. I had no success other then finding out that it is possible to lock yourself out of a deuce. Something more to fix down the road. Certainly glad for the floppy drivers window. Anyways I removed the flasher unit and tested as described in: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8490

I got no flash just a constant on light. I am really scratching my head now, because I get flashing lights when I have the combo switch set to stop. Any ideas what is up?

ida34

Did you actually break the door or did you just accidentally push the inside handle down locking it. I can't remember if it is up or down that locks it but it is in the opposite direction from the direction to open the door. I broke the glass in the window of my deuce in the first gulf war. It had been sleeping on the passenger's side and must have locked it accidentally. All of a sudden we were in a scud attack and the driver yelled "gas". I woke up and kept my eyes closed and held my breath as we thought it was a real gas attack. I got my mask on and in the rush to get out of the truck I broke the window while wrestling with the door handle.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well lucky I did not break the door. There was enough play in the drivers side glass to get a coat wire down to the handle and pull it. It looks like normally if you have the door opened with the door handle down in the locked position when you shut the door it unlocks it automatically. Something must need some attention inside my door as it does not push the inside door handle all the way to unlocked.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Anyone out there? I hate to buy a new flasher unless it is needed. Does it make sense that on the bench the flasher appears to put out a steady light, but when on the truck I get flash when the combo switch is on the stop position? Oh I also noticed that when the flasher is working in the stop position the turn signal indicator light looks dimm.

SierraHotel

I’m here, but watching your posts. My left signal is solid lit. The right one is AWOL, as are the 4 ways…hope to dig into it this weekend. That is if I get any progress on the title. As usual, I’m waiting for others to get it together! Don’t want to put too much into the Deuce unless I get a title…ho-hum…

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sierra I hope you just have a burned out bulb or such. If it turns out to be something more I might be able to help you out with some spares to try. I might be up in your area in between X-mas and New Years.

Oh check out the wiring diagram in the link to the other thread I posted. It is kinda small, but is helpful

ida34

Check the grounds at the rear light attachment and turn signal points. Do you guys have the newer plastic composite lights? If so they ground through the mounting bolts and if they are dirty they can cause screwy stuff like this. Mine were acting weird like the light not flashing on one side and such. I can't specifically remember the problem. Point being, I took off and cleaned the mounting area around the mounting bolts and everything was great after that. I too had thought I needed a flasher unit until someone on the board said to check the grounds. I should have come up with it by myself but I had a can't see the forest for the trees moment.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I fixed my term signals!!! For about 30 seconds then I touched the combo swtich to the 24v heater wire while reinstalling it. Now I have dash lights working and the BO parking lights. The heater, horn, starter all work. No headlights or regular driving lights. The original problem appears to have been either a bad conection at the combo switch or a the combo switch. It is good to have spares. Is there a fuse I am missing?

mangus580

Looking at it... I now remember, that this is one of the files that got messed up in one of our 'glitches'

Does anyone know the author? so we can get a new copy?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well today I finally 100% fixed my turn signals. After my last post here I had thought that I had one or more bad combo switches in my box of spares. I ended up taking them all to work with me to dismantle them to look for problems both visually and with the multimeter. I ended up breaking one(my best one) by trying to push it apart by pushing the switches inward. I broke the ceramic plates basically destroying it. I have included a picture that should explain how I would suggest anyone opening up a combo do so. You have to remove the one screw on the outside then three more once you separate the back. Anyways I found nothing visually wrong with any of the combos. I did find one or two differences between the two with the multimeter, but now that everything is together they both work fine. It turned out that my problem was caused by a poor connection between the combo and the wiring harness. It ended up getting worse the more I worked on it due to one of my combo switches missing the tab that clocks it to the connector. The short I caused was not related to any of my problems. I just disconnected a combo that was working a bit about then.

My next problem was this past weekend when my right signal was not working unless the turn lever was in just the right position. I opened the turn switch up and it turns out that the right switch location had burned off some of the solder. I don't know if this is a new problem or not. Also on the same day my passenger rear taillight blew out. Replacement switch is working great, I will repair the other one.

Earlier in this thread I had suspected my flasher unit of being bad. When bench testing it I got power to the bulb, but no noticeable flash. When on the truck though I got a flash, however it was only a brightening of the light. I figured that was normal at the time. While fixing the turn switch I also tried my new flasher unit. My lights now have distinct flashes with full brightness at both the running lights and the turn switch bulb. I am just guessing but I am thinking that my malfunctioning flasher unit caused the solder on the turn switch to burn as it was constantly getting current eventually cooking it and the bulb.

p.s. I can't find my pic of how to disassemble a combo switch, so will have to take another and add it later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks