• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signals not working - steering column wiring

bshupejr

Good afternoon, I’m trying to iron out why my turn signals flash slowly or not at all. I’m working through identifying and cleaning up all the grounds in the truck (M1031) and one thing that kind of surprised me is that the ground tree above the e-brake has nothing in it beyond a single wire on the mounting screw.
Is this normal?

Is there something under the dash related to lighting that I could ground to that point that would help my turn signal problem? All lighting turns on and functions, turn signals are intermittent.

Attachments

HeisenBob

I literally just asked about this last week. It serves as the main ground for the wiring harness inside the cab and is a source for grounding accessories. In stock form, nothing else was hooked up to it.

bshupejr

I literally just asked about this last week. It serves as the main ground for the wiring harness inside the cab and is a source for grounding accessories. In stock form, nothing else was hooked up to it.
That was my understanding too so I was pretty shocked (see what I did there) to find nothing attached to it. I would sure be in love to discover attaching a wire to it would solve my problem. Lol

HeisenBob

That was my understanding too so I was pretty shocked (see what I did there) to find nothing attached to it. I would sure be in love to discover attaching a wire to it would solve my problem. Lol
Not sure about the slow signals. Maybe a flasher going bad?

cucvrus

That ground was on every C K series truck ever built. It is to ground anything that needs grounded. that is NOT a military only ground. The CUCV's are basically stripped down civilian trucks. The loaded civilian trucks had a few grounds snapped onto the protruding spades. Very nice place to ground anything and directly grounded. Not twisted wire with a screw going thru like I see on many people vehicles that have problems and bring them for repairs. Poor vehicles. Be Safe and Take Care.

chevymike

That ground was on every C K series truck ever built. It is to ground anything that needs grounded. that is NOT a military only ground. The CUCV's are basically stripped down civilian trucks. The loaded civilian trucks had a few grounds snapped onto the protruding spades. Very nice place to ground anything and directly grounded. Not twisted wire with a screw going thru like I see on many people vehicles that have problems and bring them for repairs. Poor vehicles. Be Safe and Take Care.
Ah, interesting. I haven't owned a civilian C/K series that was not pre '72.

bshupejr

Thanks for all the input. I have tried swapping the hazard flasher for the signal with no change. I bought a new flasher and installed it. No change.
I’ve been through the very detailed ground checklist provided here on SS and cleaned up the ones that needed it and verified the truck has all of them including the ones noted as frequently missing.
I’m narrowing down to the steering column at this point. I’m working on getting my hands on a killer so I can get into the actual switch mechanism and see what I can see there.
I’m pretty confident it’s a single problem somewhere affecting the whole turn signal/flash circuits. The brake lights work fine so I’m pretty confident it’s not hiding in the body wiring but I checked all that out anyway. The taillights share a ground wire and I even added a ground direct to the body on the passenger side just for kicks.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Have you checked all the light sockets for corrosion, side parking lights also? Are all the bulbs in working condition and of the proper bulbs? Is the trailer connector still installed, and has not been molested?

bshupejr

Have you checked all the light sockets for corrosion, side parking lights also? Are all the bulbs in working condition and of the proper bulbs? Is the trailer connector still installed, and has not been molested?
thank you. Yes, I’ve been through all the sockets. I replaced two so far that had the ground wires so bad they were rotted off in the socket. Replacing those cleared up my problem with the dash arrows staying on all the time.

Yes, the original trailer plug is in tact. I’ve used it once or twice but not for a while.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky I posted a list of all the ground wire locations I had found in the wiring diagrams. You might take a look at it.

HeisenBob

Speaking of the trailer plug, I’m planning on installing a receiver hitch and am going to have to figure out what to do about wiring. Is the stock trailer plug usable?

bshupejr

In the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky I posted a list of all the ground wire locations I had found in the wiring diagrams. You might take a look at it.

Yes sir, I’ve been working that list diligently. That’s where I found out about this tree. I was happy to find that mine has all the grounds noted as frequently missing.
As mentioned, I’m into the steering column now.

bshupejr

So, I took apart my steering column to see if I could find any birds nest or piles of corrosion. Pretty clean in all and nothing painfully obvious.
I think I did confirm that I have a ground problem in the area though as I was able to get proper functionality from the turn signals and hazards by jumpering the contacts on the signal switch while rocking it back and forth manually.
I’ve attached a couple photos of the contacts that made it work. I’m wondering if anyone could provide any helpful insights from this information before I just keep dismantling it. The contact I’m touching in the photo is a spring loaded bit that jumpers the contacts when the turn signal is switched from left to right.
Thanks!

Attachments

bshupejr

Something I just discovered by accident:

When the key is off: if I rotate the switch to left or right, the dash signal indicator lights come on dimly and then if I put my test light on it the full signal function comes on. Maybe I just accidentally discover how to bypass the key power as there is supposed to be power there all the time for the hazards.

it does concern me that the dash lights come in dim with the ignition off.

bshupejr

Well, interesting turn of events;

After cleaning everything and then putting it back together, it works. Lol. Im still concerned that with the key off and the signal lever on the left or right position, the corresponding dash indicator illuminates dimly. The outside lights don’t come on, just the dash arrows. I’ll keep working on that and try to chase it down.

Thank you for everyone’s input on this and for the very good ground list that’s helped me greatly to chase all those down and verify them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, interesting turn of events;

After cleaning everything and then putting it back together, it works. Lol. Im still concerned that with the key off and the signal lever on the left or right position, the corresponding dash indicator illuminates dimly. The outside lights don’t come on, just the dash arrows. I’ll keep working on that and try to chase it down.

Thank you for everyone’s input on this and for the very good ground list that’s helped me greatly to chase all those down and verify them.
I have found that if a lamp glows it is a ground issue. The power back feeds though the bulb. I havent looked at a CUCV in a few years so I cant point you to the issue.

v12venator

You may also want to remove the diodes on the back of the fuse panel if those have not already been nipped. Once those fail, the flashers will stick on causing more issues as well. Unless you plan on running mil radios in your CUCV, then replacing those would probably be best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks