• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turned up Deuce

USArmyMedic07

Ok fellas. I'm new to SS and love it. I saw one of Hundy's bobbers and I was hooked. Unfortunately, I didn't have the cash to throw down for a finished truck, so I horse traded my way into a M35A2C w/winch. I have problems with mud and it seems like every time I need a winch, its because I'm in waist deep mud and have a rod or 3 sticking out the side of my block. (jeep 4.0L)

I seem to have much more money than time and a knack for wheeling and dealing. So, I sold the winch to Mike Hays on here. Great guy and a pleasure to do business with. That covered the cost of an M105a2 trailer and left me some spare cash for odds and ends. I will be dropping the rear axle and selling it to one of the local 4x4 nuts around here after the bob is complete.

Ok, now to the good stuff. Just wanted to give a little background. I'm a youngin' (26) and new to the MV hobby. I can turn a wrench competently and have designed some pretty cool parts for my other toys.

The other day, after my 200 mile drive home in the "new" deuce, I realized it was entirely too slow for a diesel, and much too big and loud.

So far, the mods include: scrapping the bed (1380 lbs), ordered Walker muffler to put on the stack (50 bucks on amazon.com) and putting it on ASAP.
Got out the Gerber Multitool (Army issue, black one, really cool) and turned the fuel screw up. The truck hasn't gotten hot yet. The exhaust stack is cool enough to touch after a 20 minute drive and I keep my foot in the throttle. The exhaust is dark, but not BLACK. It just looks like an old diesel running. The difference in drive-ability is amazing. I would recommend a slight increase to anybody who wants their truck to drive more like an older diesel pickup, than a pig. I'm not going to smoke any soup'ed up Cummins Dodges, but its quick enough to drive around town without complaints or dirty looks from the people behind me.

Just thought I'd share my experience with the rest of ya'll. More to come.

Thanks to Mark (Hundy) for all the advice on how to Bob my truck, and to Mike Hays for convincing me to buy a trailer and use the springs and bed.

Thanks for reading fellas and ladies.

Next up is THICK carpet padding from the carpet store for the cab, and some auto carpet. SHould quiet things down a bit.

Zak

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Zak,

Welcome to the Green Iron Loony Bin:cookoo::cookoo:

Turning fuel to a diesel is a tricky thing.....unless you are well versed in diesel technology you can get yourself into a lot of trouble with fuel.
Just because you can't feel excess heat does not mean you are not building heat.
Running empty on flat ground is not going to hurt you with the fuel turned up a bit (say 2800 RPM). The problem is when you have a good load on or are going up a long steep hill.
The urge is to keep your foot in the fire so it will not pull down.....this is when you start building serious heat.....the kind of heat that will literally melt down a turbo or burn a hole in a piston or two.
If you are going to turn any diesel up you YOU NEED A PYROMETER....no ifs, ands or butts.

Go buy one now and install it.....your engine will thank you.

If you bought a deuce for speed you are backing up.....putting taller tires on will help but you are never going to see 70 MPH.
The other side of GO is WHOA......these trucks have a single master cylinder brake system....air over hydrolic....it is not going to stop on a dime without major modification to a disc brake system....even discs won't help that much...even on a bobber....you are still going to be stopping 9 grand or so.

Mine is turned up to 2800 with 900x20s' on it.....I cruise at 50MPH at 2500 RPM.....I have a little pedel left if I need it but that gives me decent fuel milage (for a deuce).
I just leave in plenty of time to get where I am going and watch the faster vehicles go by.
If you search the archives there are several articles on bobbing deuces.
Have fun and post pics of your work.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Listen to Wreckerman...he knows stuff.....BUT...don't try his alternative fuels...they have not been cleared for use in SS vehicles and may have caused the death of at least one:|

Josh

Listen to Wreckerman...he knows stuff.....BUT...don't try his alternative fuels...they have not been cleared for use in SS vehicles and may have caused the death of at least one:|

There must be a story behind this I must have missed.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your just getting a haze and not black smoke when getting up to speed, the fuel is probably set ok. Should not see any smoke on flat ground. A search will reveal how to install a pyro. Then you can tune the fuel setting for better power.

Like WM said, a long steep hill. or running loaded, is where the heat can build up. Most recommend 1200 degrees or less, with pyro installed before the turbo. Once again a search will have lots of info.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you are going to turn any diesel up you YOU NEED A PYROMETER....no ifs, ands or butts.

Go buy one now and install it.....your engine will thank you.
Listen to Wreckerman. Just watch out for his food. We still dont' know what he puts in it. :shock:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Listen to Wreckerman. Just watch out for his food. We still dont' know what he puts in it. :shock:
I swear no possums were used in the production of the spaghetti sauce at the last GA Rally.

As to Papa Bears insinuation about the murder of a hapless deuce by my creative use of laquer thinner.....

"I DENY EVERYTHING AND DEMAND PROOF"

Alredneck

Banned
WM, I can verify and have a witness that Apoc with 395 XMLs will do 71mph on flat ground verified by GPS! I would be happy to show you as well all you need to do is come pull start me as it seems I have burned a wire up in the harness some where and she just smokes when you turn the acc switch on and push the starter button!:grd: