• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning a M185 into a Mobile Networking Center

SudoSeth

My friends and I have put some more time into the truck. It's come a long way and is finally starting to look like what it will become. We've replaced the rotten floor boards with new ones, put down some extra 5/8" boards to make it even more durable, laid a carpet, and even put in a small fridge along with a couch. Next up will be getting the rest of the desks re-installed after being painted and installing a new electrical system.

As usual, there is a better writeup on the truck's blog.

Attachments

SudoSeth

John and I did some more work this weekend. We took the stock counter tops apart, made the boards fit back together as smoothly as possible, and then reassembled them. They had become somewhat warped. The end boards fell off because the holes were drilled too deeply by whoever put it together in the first place, so we drilled new holes and used lag bolts to hold the end pieces in.

Once that was done we bolted the driver's side counter top in. All we have to do for that side now is bolt the L beam back in. We also installed the 2nd long shelf on the passenger's side. We're going to replace the old electrical breaker before we put the last shelf in. The plan is to replace the stock wiring to the outlets with new, lower gauge, wire that can handle 20A. We'll also be installing a breaker box that we can actually find breakers for. In addition to all of this, we plan to install relays that can be operated by a computer to control the inside and outside lights. I'll write more about this once we figure out how to implement it a way that doesn't look like it was hacked together. The wiring for the bottom four batteries has been completed. We have quick disconnects at all of the major connection points, so in addition to being safer we will also have the ability to hot swap batteries (not that we ever will).

I've ordered a RV air conditioner unit that we plan to install within a few weeks. It's starting to get a bit warm and it will be nice to have a cool box during LAN parties.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Great projects. Any new updates? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what is that thing you're using to charge the in van batteries? Does it completely isolate the charge from the alternator to the van batteries/battery compartment batteries? What did you use for switching between the two? I am looking at doing the same thing to power a HAM radio station in the van.

SudoSeth

I used to use a UPS to charge the batteries and act as an inverter, but it burned out about a month ago. We plan on getting a brand new Inverter/Charger combo unit rated at 3.5KW pure sine wave to handle our power needs, but that's probably a month or so away from being shipped to us and installed. John also managed to adjust the ladder mounts so that the ladder can actually ride on the back door like it was designed to, instead of on the floor. We've even installed a LCD tv mount on the back door. Many more electronics features are in the pipes and will hopefully be installed for new year's.

In addition to being plugged into a household outlet and charging that way I can also flip a switch on the dashboard to connect the truck's 60 amp alternator to the battery bay. We installed a charge isolator between the alternator and the two different battery sets so that the inverter won't drain the starting batteries, but the alternator can still charge them.

John and I have gotten the truck to the point where we can actually start traveling with it and using it for parties and other events. We even got some new tires for it. Bellow are a few pictures from my brother's birthday party and a few other events.

Wherever we go we always get lots of interested stares!

Attachments

wsucougarx

Trucks looks great! Looks like you have a mid '80's truck. Here's a pic of mine;-) I have been concentrating on the mechanicals and drivetrain. Next step is to get that van up to speed. Need to get a couple leaks taken care of in the box first. Then I'll tackle the electric portions and get those van lights to work. Hmm, is that an AC unit on the roof?

Attachments

SudoSeth

Wow! You've done a lot of great work with your truck (I just read your thread). I also had a couple of large leaks in the box. I used some roof sealant/tar for the top of the box and a silicon clear sealant for the walls. It's cut out all of the leaking. Eventually I'll get around to sanding the roof down and repainting it back to the camo pattern that was on it before.

Yep, the truck now has an AC unit. I also put in the optional heating element so it stays decently warm during the winter if we're plugged in to shore power or a genset. I'm in the process of trying to find a nice crank-up antenna mount for the roof for a wifi antenna and maybe a ham antenna once I get around to getting my license.

SudoSeth

Sorry for the long gap since the last update. After several months of on and off work our truck is really starting to shape up. The counter tops have all been mounted, the new 3.5KW inverter/charger is installed and operational, all of the old breaker boxes have been replaced, the network jacks are connected, the cab now has an over head light, the HDTV is mounted to the door, and the speakers have been mounted to the wall. Although the AC unit has been mounted there is something wrong with it because it doesn't blow cold air (still working on this one). The new under-counter refrigerator, on the other hand, keeps our beverages nice and cold.

John has also installed the under-truck lighting arrangement that I came up with. The lighting will allow people at parties to clearly see where the ladder and electrical outlets are (as well as looking really cool.) For DOT compliance they use LEDs (not neon) and can only be turned on/off from inside the box (not the driver's area).

We came up with the idea of running 120v power wires to connect a dedicated ladder light and a line to under the passenger seat. This will allow us to install a block heater for the winter as well as outlets to charge a laptop while driving. All of this can be run off of the inverter/alternator combo.

The truck has also been equipped with a custom Linux-powered router setup that can take a cell phone modem and route the data through the truck's Ethernet wiring. This allows us to stream pictures over the internet as well as to play internet based video games.

We are currently planning to take the truck on a party tour to a couple of friends' houses over the 4th of July weekend. This will be the first true off-grid test with all of the new gear.

Attachments

SudoSeth

I thought you dropped off the face of the earth. By the way, your website is down.

Life has been a little hectic over the past few months. New house, new job, etc. Things are looking up though :)

Also, I got the website working again (I think). I had recently moved my server from my old house to my new house and had some glitches.

Here's a picture of my truck with my new (to me) house. I re-did the electrical in the house which gave me the opportunity to put in a 20A 120v line just for the truck. I also had some outside flood lights installed so that I can work on the truck at night if I need to.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks really good.
Do you have a means for power and a/c while away from 120V?
Can you share the schematic for the electrical upgrades?

54reo

So... 185 and w/w are kinda contradictory... Did you add the winch?? I thought that's what distiguished the 109 from the 185....
M185's were originally contracted for the Air Force, while the M109 was not. This is not to say that a M185 or two has not been found in Army care through the years.

The M185's with factory installed winches that I have personally ran across are all late model Deuces (i.e. Air Force contracted dual brake system trucks).

SudoSeth

Looks really good.
Do you have a means for power and a/c while away from 120V?
Can you share the schematic for the electrical upgrades?

I have a 3.5KW pure sinewave inverter/charger system from Outback that basically acts a giant UPS. It can be connected to shore power while I'm at home or charge off of a generator if we bring one. Otherwise, it can charge off of the truck's 60A alternator. The inverter puts out enough power to both run the AC and all of our other loads, such as lights and computers for about 2 hours running full tilt (everything turned on and running the entire time, not a likely scenario) or about 8 hours under normal use. This lets us run things without having a loud generator running the entire time.

Below is a simple diagram showing how things are connected. If you're interested I can upload a more complete schematic for all of the breakers, but I think this gives a good idea of what the system does.

Thanks everyone for the positive words :)

Attachments

Jake0147

So... 185 and w/w are kinda contradictory... Did you add the winch?? I thought that's what distiguished the 109 from the 185....

Terry

The TMs list an NSN for both of those trucks either with or without a winch. The M185 appears to be a specialty version of the 109, which appears more general in it's intended use...

wsucougarx

Below is a simple diagram showing how things are connected. If you're interested I can upload a more complete schematic for all of the breakers, but I think this gives a good idea of what the system does.
More information the better! Especially brand/model # specific items you installed in your truck. Good to use things that have already been tested and put to use in fellow SS's trucks.