• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning an M998 into a brush truck

BlazeKeeper

Hello,

I posted one thread already about turning an M998 into a fire department brush truck, and you guys helped tons already. The rivnut fixed the mirror bracket. However, since we're still in the process of working on this and will run into other problems I'm sure, I'm creating a general question thread so I don't clutter the forum up.

My current problem is with the brake lights. They work (after much aggravation), but they don't come on unless you really stomp the brake pedal. On a normal vehicle they would come on if you just barely pressed the pedal, but not on ours. Is there a way to adjust the brake light switch that's hooked to the pedal to decrease the travel it takes to activate the lights?

Thanks!

kbox

The brake light switch is adjustable. Just loosen the bolts and slide the switch to where it works best for you.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I literally JUST got done reading that. He didn't say in there how he adjusted it, just that he adjusted it. Sounds like it's a simple fix.

Sorry for what is probably stupid questions, I'm new to these military vehicles. Still learning about them lol.
That's what we're here for! Better to ask, and get an answer, than not ask and break, lose, get injured etc...

DatGuyC

from a different thread:
I also made my own brake light switch bracket and used the brake switch from an old jeep to make something much better than stock. When I switched to LED tail lights I couldnt get the stock switch to reliably function between the brake light never coming on or always being on, now they work perfectly. Part number for the switch is J5352620 and is about $12 so much cheaper to replace. I'm not sure if the switch could handle the draw from regular tail lights but it wouldn't be hard to make it activate a relay. I know the bracket is rough, its still in its testing phase :p
View attachment 577930

View attachment 577931
so far its still working perfectly and I've put some decent miles on the truck.