• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning master switch off while running.

Mister Sunday

Is it bad for my duece to turn the battery switch off while I drive it? I just realized that when I do the fuel tank pump doesn't run, and was wondering if this makes it hard on any of the rest of the fuel delivery system.

Capt.Marion

No. The only problem would arise if your fuel lines had a leak, and the IP pump would suck in the air from those leaks. The in-tank pump just provides positive pressure to prevent that from happening.

If your truck runs fine without it, you're all set. I know I just prefer to see my gauges! You should be able to start it and run it at least several times before having to recharge the batteries even if the alternator doesn't charge them. In my opinion, I'd rather have to run the batteries down to about 50% charge and recharge them every so often than drive with no indication of oil pressure or temperature, or turn signals and brake lights.

Mister Sunday

Don't get me wrong, I still turn it on to check my gauges, and when I need to signal my intent. Most of my moving around is on private property and in very rural areas, so my lights aren't nearly as important. I just can't keep off of it very long before I start itchin'.

Mister Sunday

I just got back in from dragging all the cable out and respooling it just so it would look a little better. It's terrible, I've never been this way about a vehicle. Good thing I swore to myself I'd never own a 4x4.

gunboy1656

Only real bad thing I can see from not having it turned on is the low air buzzer. You run out of oil, overheat you will know it. Blow a brake line and have no air, only way you would know then is when you NEED to stop.

Stalwart

Since your alternator is out, it's fine, but if you had a good alternator I wouldn't do it, a battery acts like a nice spike filter and dampens over-voltage spikes.

Capt.Marion

If anything, keep a CLOSE eye on your air gauge. It fortunately is not reliant upon electricity to operate.

If you're just operating on your property and local and not-busy roads, I suppose that's one thing.

Flea

I get lights and indicators without my accessory switch being on. :confused:

Before you run out and get a new alternator, check the field wire. Mine was broken and fixing the terminal solved my dead alternator. These old ones (some) require a charged input wire to get them to start charging, as opposed to the self-exciting (single-wire) new alternators.

Mister Sunday

It's not dead. It's pumping out about 100 volts. I was thinking about selling it to someone so I would have some more money to put towards one of those single wire, modern alternator kits that avengeusa sells.

steelandcanvas

I believe the current draw of the gauges is minimal, so the savings of power at the batteries is negligible. Charge the batteries a little more often and have operational gauges.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks