• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning Radius, M939 Series: W/O Winch vs. W/Winch

hendo

According to the operator's manual for the M939 series (TM 9-2320-272-10, 31 July 2012), the turning radius (TR) is significantly different between models w/o winch vs. w/winch. For example, the M931 has a published TR of 46', whereas the M932 is blessed with a TR of 31' (pgs 2-12,13).

I'm fairly new to the MV game, but this doesn't make sense. I've been seriously considering an M931, as I don't want the winch. However, if the M932 does indeed have such a significantly better TR, that would make it the one to pursue.

Is this really the case or is the TM in error?

hendo

Yeah, that's what I figured - unless, for some bizarre reason, the non-winch models have different steering assemblies. It was that or the specs are in error. Before dismissing the manual outright, I figured I better check.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There IS a difference between "turning radius" and "turning circle"-also known as turning sweep. It is different between the two trucks when you are talking about turning circle, not turning radius. I haven't gone and looked at the TM (sorry) but I am assuming from a past life, that the difffernce is in the swept area.