• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning Radius Question

someoldmoose

If not can you add rear steering to a tandem rear with super singles 14.00R20's?
Why YES, you can, Meritor or Oshkosh MRAP steer axle and LOTS of plumbing and engineering for controls.

COULD be done, and has been (monster trucks) with Rockwells but the rear tandems ADD a quantum level of complexity, unless ya bob the rear and make it a "tag" axle.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they turn like an oil tanker for sure.

Owning a 5 ton requires that you plan ahead before turning.

You can adjust your steering stops but turn too tight and you risk tearing your Axle boots. So I've read.

someoldmoose

Not hearsay, Tin, fact. Only two kinds of Rockwell axle owners. Those that HAVE replaced CV boots, and those that WILL.

The tighter and more often ya turn, the sooner it WILL happen. The new "silicone" ones are "better" but still tear eventually.

Last edited:

acme66

Sometimes on my 925 I just jack it up in the center and wait for the earth to rotate before setting it back down. Not all the time mind you, just when I am in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

I am researching for a project. I came across this TM that listed the turning radius of a M923 is 46 feet but the turning radius of the M925 is 31 feet. What am I missing here? Does the M925 come standard with rear steering? If not can you add rear steering to a tandem rear with super singles 14.00R20's?
Since the rest of the guys want a joke and not actually answer you question, I will take a stab at it. That table is screwed up and none of the stock M939's had any type of rear steering. Only the short wheelbase trucks 929, 30, 31, and 32 can turn with a 31" radius, the 923, 25, and 36 will all turn with the same 41" radius, the all the LWB trucks 927, 28, 38, and 44 will take a open field and pre planning to make a complete turn of 46" radius. I believe this is corrected radius but 31 seems small to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gunzy

That chart is way off. A winch does NOT make any change in turning radius. There are three wheel bases in the 939 series truck and the shorter the better the turn. Or you can get a HEMTT and deal with a 109ft turning radius.

someoldmoose

I find it slightly funny that they even list it as RADIUS. Makes it sound BETTER I guess. An 86 ' turning CIRCLE sounds Titanic. 43 ' radius is nicer. I actually DO KNOW why, but that's ok. Drove a 5 axle dumper for a short while. 92 ' radius with the tags both down. NOT fun on City streets.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes what it takes to turn these.
Having a number attached to it is worthless 95% of the time for 95% of the owners.

Most of us know these won't fit in a tight Taco Bell (or whatever) parking lot and to stay out.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
It takes what it takes to turn these.
Having a number attached to it is worthless 95% of the time for 95% of the owners.

Most of us know these won't fit in a tight Taco Bell (or whatever) parking lot and to stay out.
Ask Wes about taking his with a trailer through the drive thru. Man's crazy and I'd loved to have seen It

Mos68x

Mind you, while the winch itself won't increase or decrease the steering angle on the front tires, it will effect how much space you will require to make a 180, or 360, degree turn. It won't be a lot, but it will be a couple of feet, just because of the extra length up front. That still doesn't mean that any of those numbers are right though, cause my truck does seem to have the turning radius of a Hughes H-4 Hercules lol on the pavement it never seems to bother me, but out here on the dirt roads they sure seem smaller lol

Mos68x

Kind? lol what's that? I been bowlin trees over out here just for fun or cause they're in the way. Certainly does make my job of collecting firewood a sitonne easier though lol

As far as people it's been funny, they usually scatter like roaches to get outta my way lol there was one stop comin out of Hattiesburg MS when we were hungry and wanted some Waffle House. There was only one spot that was open enough to park the big truck, just off the road/curb part of the parking lot where some black chick was sitting in her car with her kids in the end spot. I just pulled up off the road and used all 5 or whatever spots it was. All I saw was eyes and teeth in that look like "oh crapt, I'm gonna get squashed" lol when I finally got out she was like "you almost gave me a heart attack, I thought you wasn't gonna stop, all i saw was tire's and a bumper at the top of my window" lol

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks