• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning radius?

RRworker

Hi all, been lurking on the site for sometime doing research. In the coming months I want to get a deuce and part of my research has been if it will actually fit where I want to park it in my driveway. The good news is it will fit with a little fence modification. My concern is the turning radius, my street is about 24 feet wide so after some measuring and bad math I decided to compair it to my 05 nissian titan. According to the -10 the deuce turning radius is 35 feet and change and 45 feet and change for the titan according to the spec sheet. my question is, is the deuce radius a "real world radius"? If it is that would mean 2 things 1. I should have.no problem getting in and out of my driveway with the deuce 2. The deuce can turn inside my 1/2 ton pickup. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something and have to get the tape measure and calculator out again?

Thanx, Howie

cornrichard

I do not have a Titan to compare but there is no way my deuce will turn shorter than my 3/4 ton Ford. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Any truck with 2 rear axles is going to need room to turn.

plym49

Maybe the Deuce is 35 foot radius and the Titan in 45 foot diameter? That would sound more likely.

RRworker

Thanx for the input guys

Gunboy1656- the lack of powersteering is a concern, it will make planning my turns more of a priority. luckly where my place is located on the street people cant park across from the house/driveway and I can borrow some driveway space to turn the nose in to get some extra room to back on my driveway.

Cornrichard- sadly the titan is the biggest truck I have had in my driveway to compair. I figured if I went by the numbers instead of experiences it would be a more realistic figure. The next biggest vehicle was a flat bed wrecker to drop off a car I was working on and he made it no problem.

Plym49- I thought the same thing but it listed curb to curb at 45 feet for the titan. that makes sense cause I need alot of realestate to you turn. Even on a 2 lane with a median I just scrub the shoulder at a hard lock turn.

the only thing I can really think of is the deuce radius is offroad allowing the tandems to slide more. It probably in my interest to find someone local with a deuce and see if they have issues getting in my driveway.

Howie

Carl_in_NH

Curb-to-curb is diameter, the deuce is listed in radius - so curb-to-curb for a deuce is _twice_ what you're seeing in the TM - which is more than a 70 foot turning circle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curb-to-curb is diameter, the deuce is listed in radius - so curb-to-curb for a deuce is _twice_ what you're seeing in the TM - which is more than a 70 foot turning circle.
Carl is right. Add no power steering to the mix and I'd say the deuce practical turning radius will be even more than what's listed when you try to turn in a tight spot going slow.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never measured it but I find it quite nimble for a 6x6.

Things to do that would reduce the turning radius are

- front hub lockouts
- rear axle disconnect
- radials and normal-high air pressure in front to allow turning the steering wheel more quickly

RodUSMC1962

As the song says ,I need 40 acres to turn this thing around. Your idea of getting someone with a duece to try is the best idea. The more you drive a duece , the more you can judge corners.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
turning radius

:grin: You can come and check my M35 out , I live near you in Lockport . As far as turning radius , BIG truck , Big turning radius . You should come to the Local MVPA , Empire State West , meeting this thursday , At the Vet's on Walden Ave , 1900.hrs (7PM ) shoot me a PM I can fill you in , Bob K

RRworker

Thanx for all the input, looks like I have some more figuring to do or just widen my driveway approch from 15 feet to 20 or so. One last question, seeing how the deuce will be backed in the driveway is there a noticable difference when turning in reverse (wider or tighter)?

rtk- thanx for letting me know about the meeting, I will pm for more info.

Howie

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've said for quite some time, that the turning radius of a deuce is just a little smaller than that of the USS Ronald Reagan :grin:

gunboy1656

A little, that is where planning comes in. Turn you wheel in the direction you want to back while moving forward. Make sense? It helps while backing to keep you from trying to catch the truck and make it track a little better.

plym49

Thanx for the input guys

Plym49- I thought the same thing but it listed curb to curb at 45 feet for the titan. that makes sense cause I need alot of realestate to you turn. Even on a 2 lane with a median I just scrub the shoulder at a hard lock turn.

Howie
Exactly, curb to curb is the same as diameter. :)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our driveway is 12' wide.
It flares to the curbline with 3' radius aprons.
Our street is 25' wide, with full curbing.

OK, with those dimensions in mind, I do not have to drive on our grass, nor "jump" the curb on the the other side of the street when pulling out of or backing into the driveway.

HOWEVER.... If someone is parked across the street, it's not going to be a one-shot-deal.

Power steering would help, but I kinda like the "ARMSTRONG" steering when maneuvering at low speeds. It's keeping my upper body in shape :lol:

eagle4g63

Ok, I have had my deuce in all kinds of driveways and I have to say that backing into the drive has turned out to be the best way.... also easier to see when you want to return to the street. I use mine everyday and that includes getting into small driveways(single car wide last one was just only as wide as my tires on the back!!) and on small town curbed 2 lane roads. The roads I am talking about are small enough that if there is a car parked on both sides of the street...I might take off a mirror on someones ride if I try to go between and can still hit a single driveway(without the cars on the road of course).

I have practiced the: approach on the same side of the road as the drive tactic and turn away from the drive, with the last few feet turning the wheel back so as to start lining up for the back up turn......takes a little practice without power steering but you can do it.[thumbzup]

RRworker

Plym49- after I drew out a quick diagram I got the hang of it, not sure why i was drawing a blank, ots been as long weekend

USAFSS-ColdWarrior- those measurements are a big help.

Howie

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are going to back it in do not do a "Blind Side Back" without "Soldier B" present as a ground guide.

When backing up always use low range.....you will be going real slow and it gives you time to react and keeps the truck from bucking and jumping. The deuce steers a lot easier when it is rolling.

Once you get your deuce you can change the grease in the steering box to a heavy oil....this will make steering easier....I think I remember a thead that covers that but I prob couldn't find it on a bet.

Once you have built up some stick time on the truck you will get used to the size....I can park a duece anywhere the Boss Lady can park her big azzed Dodge Dually.

emr

Just an fyi, if the turning radius is the biggest thing U are worried about, it might not be for U, No MVs have a great turning radius, well maybe the Mule :) I agree with cattlerepairman, they are nimble ...if one can drive it I have to add, there should be absolutely no problem in that radius as long as u can handle the truck, i say that with all good intentions, swinging a deuce thru the streets like an over the road truck are never going to happen . Did u know they dont have power steering ? I can one hand turn a deuce just fine, well maybe its hard but it can be done ,a proper grease job is your friend, U need to take someone up on driving it, and then see what its like words will never describe it, U will find there are a hundred other more important things u need to find out, Good Luck i hope U lovem and get one ! They are the most fun someone can have like all MVs to me, If U draw a circle and a deuce will make the turn with a foot to spare, U are in for a big surprize when U actually drive the truck thru, it wont be the same, and every day will be different, and locking a steering wheel tight in a turn is not good for any truck, always back off a bit, it wont steer any more locked , just more 3 cents, goo luck...

Last edited: