• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning up the ip

hummer4x4guy

Has anyone upped their injection pump? I am considering giving it a shot to see what I can get outa the truck. I know where the access cover is but I am unsure about anything much past that... any tips?
Thanks

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your going to need a good 3/32 allen whench. Not a chinese one!. The screw is very hard to turn. And a cheesie wrench will dammage the hex . If your standing at the drivers side front tire you will turn the screw clock wise. But don't go past 1/4 turn. Your EGT's will go skyhigh. Also after your remove the cover some diesel will come out. The adjuster screw may not be visible. There is a window on the drum so you will need to rotate the engine by hand untill the screw is visible.

hummer4x4guy

Great thanks Ken I appreciate the info. Should I see a rather decent amount of "power" if I do go just a bit less then the 1/4 turn. Do you need to do anything with the timing of the engine after doing this?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the pics. After removing the guide pin (1/4 allen hex) and governor assy. you gain accesss to the adjusting screw #21 (a good 4mm allen fits best). Turn the engine until it lines up.
1/8 turn cw. does alot! You may have to retard the timing a tad.

Attachments

hummer4x4guy

I also got some extra reading in on www.flashoffroad.com and they talk about the same things you all have mentioned also. It looks like I am going to do just a 1/8th turn on mine, no sense is destroying the engine :-(
Thanks for the pics and info and I will have a look at my brakes also :) (smartass) lol
Joel

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should see a seat of the pants difference. But don't expect it to win any drag races. I think 1/4 turn is the max. You can experment untill you get it where you like it.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
It seams that most in the past have suggested installing a pyro before turning up the IP. I am sure many just go small though to avoid the trouble. I am going to do both in the future.

dilvoy

I recently turned up the fuel rate when I installed a new injector pump in my M1009. I went 1/6th of a turn and noticed more torque instantly. It needs way less throttle pedal to cruise on the highway now and the torque hole that was a problem while driving below 60 mph on hilly highways is gone. It drives like a whole different vehicle. it just a little puff of black exhaust smoke when the vehicle shifts into third gear while accelerating hard.

hummer4x4guy

OK guys inform me a bit as to what a "pyro" is I know it means fire and stuff like that ..but are you talking bout a guage for the egt? I would LOVE to see a lil black smoke outa my exhaust since I put in new injectors even when I mash it I get no smoke.. a lil smoke is cool IMO... :)

BKinzey

Yes, Pyrometer = EGT.

I've read lots of suggestions to drill & tap the exhaust manifold in the center of the umm..ah.. :oops: "collector" area of the manifold for the best readings. If it's a single exhaust use the side they join on.

Pyro's seem a little expensive but they are a lot cheaper than melting your engine. IIRC it's best to stay under 1200*

hummer4x4guy

Well back on the road and never had time to mess with the IP. But I talked with a diesel tech a bit who works on Hummers and the 6.5 TD engine and when I mentioned that I was going to turn up the IP and that I was also going to have to retard the engine he said to keep in mind that when you retard the engine you are actually advancing the timing. This true? Can anyone explain retard/advancing of a diesel engine when when you do each and why?
Thanks
Joel

CCATLETT1984

on a 6.2L NEVER let the (pre-trubo, if its got a turbo) EGT's get above 1150F. A 6.5 can take EGT's up to 1250F for very short bursts. And for sure install the pyro before cranking the ip. Also it should be a 5/32 allen wrench, and you will need a "ball-end" if you dont want to have to remove the fuel sutoff solinoid.