• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turret Bearing Support Needed for hard top roof?

NewHmmwv

Hello, I am attempting to convert my humvee to a hard top slant back. I am looking at using a slant back roof that does not have the turret hole in it.(everything else is still the same as original)
I was wondering if I would still need a turret bearing support for installing the roof. Any insight regarding this and any other hard top installation advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Wire Fox

Unfortunately, this is a really tough question to answer. My guess would be "Yes, you need the bearing support." but we're all at a loss here because you have an aftermarket top, have posted no pictures, and nobody really knows anything about it without more info about what roof you have. There's a lot of aftermarket companies selling parts "exactly like original" that have made them nothing like the original...

NewHmmwv

Hard Top Roof.jpg Here is a picture of the roof. The company has made the original roof for a government contract before, but this part is just modified so there is no hole.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to me that you only need the sponsons, C pillar for sponsons, and a soft top W/S frame will work
if you take off the front soft top channel.
Also, there's a guy selling the A pillar brackets on fleebay that you would need to attach the rubber
donuts to the corners.
You can maybe make the soft top B pillar work as support in the middle.
You would need the B pillar sheet metal covers also.
The turret support is expensive and not needed in this application, same with the hard top W/S frame.

NewHmmwv

Do you know where I could get a c pillar for the sponsons or what part number that is? And for the b-pillar covers is that part number 12340338?

Thanks for the help

dilvoy

That top won't fit down over a standard B Pillar. You need to chop off a bit of the outer part of the corners and then weld on some flat plates to bring the strength back into the pillar or modify the inner part of the top in that area. A windshield for a hard to with the vents in the bottom so you have a defogger would be the best for the front end, but you could attach the roof to a soft top frame many different ways, but you might just make it a strong connection so you actually increase roll over protection while you are at it, if you have the money. I also have seen some steel fabricated brackets for mounting the hard top to a soft top windshield but the placement of the mount for the Resilient Mounts looks to be too low. I could be wrong though or maybe it can just be placed higher up. If I were using those, I would through bolt from the front of the windshield frame straight through to the interior of the vehicle for strength as some rivnuts can be pulled through in a bad situation, plus the flexing of the body will be constantly working on them and as time goes by, I think they will get loose.

H1NSX

That aftermarket roof actually appears to be an exact copy, less the large turret hole. I have the NOS roof panel with turret hole cutout. I can tell your roof panel is an exact remake. Can I ask what you paid for that panel?
I will post pictures of mine soon, for comparison.

Attachments

Last edited:

NewHmmwv

The roof cost is $1850, I believe the seller has more in stock. PM if in need of a reference. I bought a pair of dog ears to put on the soft top windshield. Now i just need to figure out what to do for the middle support of the roof.

schersch78

The roof cost is $1850, I believe the seller has more in stock. PM if in need of a reference. I bought a pair of dog ears to put on the soft top windshield. Now i just need to figure out what to do for the middle support of the roof.
I'm curious what you ended up doing to use this roof with the standard B pillar? I have an identical setup and am trying to determine if I should trim the sheet metal on the underside of the roof or chop the B pillar and weld in reinforcements...
And how did the ears on the windshield work out? Welded or bolted on? Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks