• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turret hole enhancement ideas

Guruman

Not so new member
I'm working to resolve my leak prone turret hole before winter.

Found this in the inter webs a while back: https://builtmfg.com/2016/11/14/moonroof/
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.09.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.10.12 AM.png

I like the idea of letting the sky in a bit, but... It'd be nice to be able to pop it open on demand without climbing on top with an impact in hand.

I'm shopping for ideas, anyone done or seen something cool with the turret hole?

I actually got a quote from a company that manufactures plastic domes, and a flanged 1/2 thick acrylic dome 12 inches tall, would be about $2k, but I still would not be able to open it easily.

Third From Texas

I'd rock it as a permanent window. IMO, any functionally opening hatch you attempt to install up there is going to leak like the original turrets did so I'd stick to permanent and seal it good. I'd certainly add some form of sliding shade to keep the greenhouse effect down as much as possible (cab gets plenty hot down here in the summer as is).

I've not seen anyone build an actual functioning hatch (all have been actually military turret hatches and as everyone will tell you they leak like a submarine screen door). But I suppose you could fab up a hatch easy enough (given you don't need to add a gun mount of swivel system). Doing so w/o water pouring into the cab from above is another story, though (that's gonna take better engineering than the military contractors were capable of). If I were trying to retain the military theme I'd attempt a simply custom hatch and improve on the leak reduction (you'll likely not eliminate it).

If I didn't care about the military theme, I'd skylight it (but only if I could devise a sliding shade to keep the sun from turning the cab into a even hotter greenhouse). A solid, fixed clear cover could be made to not leak water (or sunlight when desired).

Of course, my personal build plans involve a cab cap and integrated stowage rack, Hell, I might even find a way to fit an extra solar panel up there. So not much reason for a hole to peek out of then). The view from the cab is pleasant enough IMO, so I can forego the moonroof. All subject to change, though. If I see something I really like and can afford to implement, then my build plans often change. But I won't lie, I have considered a moonroof. If for some reason I don't implement my cab cap and/or stowage up there, I'd certainly give it a shot. But as I said, only if I could sort out a sliding shade system (a couple of shading sections that meet in the center would be my approach then sort of stealth that into the headliner).

ymmv

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
I'd rock it as a permanent window. IMO, any functionally opening hatch you attempt to install up there is going to leak like the original turrets did so I'd stick to permanent and seal it good. I'd certainly add some form of sliding shade to keep the greenhouse effect down as much as possible (cab gets plenty hot down here in the summer as is).

I've not seen anyone build an actual functioning hatch (all have been actually military turret hatches and as everyone will tell you they leak like a submarine screen door). But I suppose you could fab up a hatch easy enough (given you don't need to add a gun mount of swivel system). Doing so w/o water pouring into the cab from above is another story, though (that's gonna take better engineering than the military contractors were capable of). If I were trying to retain the military theme I'd attempt a simply custom hatch and improve on the leak reduction (you'll likely not eliminate it).

If I didn't care about the military theme, I'd skylight it (but only if I could devise a sliding shade to keep the sun from turning the cab into a even hotter greenhouse). A solid, fixed clear cover could be made to not leak water (or sunlight when desired).

Of course, my personal build plans involve a cab cap and integrated stowage rack, Hell, I might even find a way to fit an extra solar panel up there. So not much reason for a hole to peek out of then). The view from the cab is pleasant enough IMO, so I can forego the moonroof. All subject to change, though. If I see something I really like and can afford to implement, then my build plans often change. But I won't lie, I have considered a moonroof. If for some reason I don't implement my cab cap and/or stowage up there, I'd certainly give it a shot. But as I said, only if I could sort out a sliding shade system (a couple of shading sections that meet in the center would be my approach then sort of stealth that into the headliner).

ymmv
Ha. I, too have thought about adding a box covering the whole cab, which would be accessible through the exiting turret hole, for storage. But man I like the moonroof idea.

The removable feature could be useful for access to the top of my mobile workshop container for removal/installation, or for a rooftop lounge.

I've also considered mounting the box backwards with enough space to get the entry door opened and some fold-up decks on either side to provide some additional elevated space. Folding and unfolding them might be a challenge from ground level. But if I could pop the hatch, climb over into the space between the box and the front of the bed, then a couple of hand-crank winches would suffice for folding and un-folding the sides and or deploying/stowing some stairs. But that's a long way off just yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks