• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turret Support Pillar - M1045/6

Gamble

I see no reason why the ring can’t be made from stainless steel or regular steel bar. Sure there will be slow galvanic issues BUT especially stainless will minimize that.

Unless of course you’re worried about weight... LOL.
I think the same thing. But I wonder the expense of the first prototype. Once its confirmed and everything works then it would be easier to run off a batch of them. Everyone with a turret hole in their trucks A2 series and earlier could make use of them. But its eating the cost of the development and ensuring youre precise on specs.

BLK HMMWV

I think the same thing. But I wonder the expense of the first prototype. Once its confirmed and everything works then it would be easier to run off a batch of them. Everyone with a turret hole in their trucks A2 series and earlier could make use of them. But its eating the cost of the development and ensuring youre precise on specs.
Well I don't think you or anyone can make them for less then the people that already have the tooling.
And we know theirs are to spec.
Sadly your going to also have to make a deal with the original manufacturer of the C pillar as most trucks will also need those.
I'd want a guarantee from them that whomever agrees to their terms becomes the sole distributer of them and none seem to sneek out the back door.

Gamble

Well I don't think you or anyone can make them for less then the people that already have the tooling.
And we know theirs are to spec.
Sadly your going to also have to make a deal with the original manufacturer of the C pillar as most trucks will also need those.
I'd want a guarantee from them that whomever agrees to their terms becomes the sole distributer of them and none seem to sneek out the back door.
The idea here is that the ring WON'T make use of the unobtainum parts. It would use the gov planet parts which are more common. Again, The GovPlanet B Pillar has 2 bolts going through the center of the Pillar. This new ring would make use of that, the existing attachment points on the A Pillar and the GovPlanet C Pillar. It would use Grade 8 bolts and Maybe the C Pillar would need Holes drilled through for an attachment point as it doesnt come with pre-drilled holes like the B Pillar. This should make installation simpler as well.

BLK HMMWV

The idea here is that the ring WON'T make use of the unobtainum parts. It would use the gov planet parts which are more common. Again, The GovPlanet B Pillar has 2 bolts going through the center of the Pillar. This new ring would make use of that, the existing attachment points on the A Pillar and the GovPlanet C Pillar. It would use Grade 8 bolts and Maybe the C Pillar would need Holes drilled through for an attachment point as it doesnt come with pre-drilled holes like the B Pillar. This should make installation simpler as well.
I guess it would help me visualize more of what your trying to do if I knew what all the Gov. Planet B,C pillars looked like in the first place.
What bearing will it use? What hatch? what weapons tray? what locking system .
Or will all that also have to be made to fit the new stuff?

Gamble

1151A1 Turret.JPG

Here is a Turret of the 1151A1. It appears the 1151s dont make use of the turret support. The unfortunate thing is that these roofs are significantly wider than the 1045a2 roofs. Otherwise, these may be the way to move forward without the rare and expensive turret support

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 840971

Here is a Turret of the 1151A1. It appears the 1151s dont make use of the turret support. The unfortunate thing is that these roofs are significantly wider than the 1045a2 roofs. Otherwise, these may be the way to move forward without the rare and expensive turret support
That wide overlay roof comes off, and there is a standard aluminum roof under that,,,,that one in the pic shows an adapter ring for a 1114 / mrap bearing which is easier to find....but I bet that 36 hole ring adapter will be removed.

Gamble

That wide overlay roof comes off, and there is a standard aluminum roof under that,,,,that one in the pic shows an adapter ring for a 1114 / mrap bearing which is easier to find....but I bet that 36 hole ring adapter will be removed.
1151A1 Roof1.JPG
1151A1 Roof2.JPG

Is the wide overlay roof armored? Will the aluminum roof under it fit the 1045A2? If so, this may be a viable option to eliminate the need for a turret support. Does anyone have dimensions for the under roof?

Last edited:

Action

There is a 1/4" thick aluminum roof that will allow regular doors to fit. The overlay is another 1/4" or so. You can still use regular x-doors or soft doors with the overlay on, if you don't mind the hmmwv looking like the Flying Nun.
An m1165 roof will work, too. Just remove the round hole cover.
How many m1151 or m1165 roofs have you seen for sale? Or are you looking to buy an entire truck to take the roof off of it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks