• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two group 31's to crank 855?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody successfully using two group 31 batteries to crank a 250 or 400 Cummins in a 800 series or 915 series truck? Cold weather operation is not a concern.

KsM715

I use 2 interstate blems in my M818. As long as they stay fully charged and your trucks fuel system holds prime they work just fine. I think I have an air leak in mine and it has to crank for a little bit while I pump the primer pump and it will fire.

R Racing

When I had fuel line issues in Dec. 2 new 31s only gave me 3 or 4 trys before giving up . Also 2 wont start my m920 when its 17 degrees out . so now all my 5 ton and up have 4 batteries and no more issues. I know some that have no issues what so ever. Not me lol .

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone. My 915 is off the deadline with 2 new O'Reilys made in USA group 31s. Cranks just fine. See ya, 6TMF's!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 new automobile sized batteries in an 809 series truck does not cut it up here in the cold. Tried it...

2 big rig batteries, works great!

Dave08

I use deep cycle Marine Batteries in mine as I do not drive them that often. Plus if my boat batteries die, I can rob Peter to pay Paul and have a good day fishing.
Dave08

Coldfusion21

I use 2 interstate blems in my M818. As long as they stay fully charged and your trucks fuel system holds prime they work just fine. I think I have an air leak in mine and it has to crank for a little bit while I pump the primer pump and it will fire.
What's the story on the blemished batteries? Good discount? How do you come across them?

KsM715

Yes, if you can find an interstate dealer, they can usually get blems, and they a lot cheaper than new ones.

I just happen to know the interstate delivery driver for this area and had him get me 2.

DaveP, never thought of it that way. When I get to the point of using the M818 more regularly I might just go back to 4.

M215

M813

I have used 2 car batteries in our M813 for years. The original cold start unit was non-operational and was replaced with a block heater. For stuations when cold starting without a place to plug the block heater in I also installed an ether start kit.

sandcobra164

I use Hawkers in all my trucks and love them. I have 2 in an M818 I recovered for a guy and they spin that 855 over very nicely down here in SW GA. In the Deuce, the starter spins the motor about as fast as it runs at idle. Kind of hard to pin down though, the Deuce is running the moment you press the starter button unless you forget to push the fuel control in.