• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two houses MEP 03

tbearatkin

I have read it can be done on a MEP 04. How about a MEP 03

Possible outage due to snow and ice. Elderly neighbor may need gas furnace and minor lights refridge. Can I tie a L1 and neutral L0 and ground for one house 110 and 1 L3 neutral L0 and ground for the other house to run just furnace and minor lights and refridge in each house.

jamawieb

Possible outage due to snow and ice. Elderly neighbor may need gas furnace and minor lights refridge. Can I tie a L1 and neutral L0 and ground for one house 110 and 1 L3 neutral L0 and ground for the other house to run just furnace and minor lights and refridge in each house.
Where are you located tbearatkin? I'm located about an hour north of Memphis. If you ever need anything let me know.
The 003a will be more than enough for 2 houses with minimal usage as you described. I have a 002a which runs everything in my 1100sq ft house and I have a 003a at my parents 2700sq ft house with 2 central units and 2 wall units. It runs everything just fine.

jamawieb

Yeah I remember! They have already called for a state of emergency for tomorrow's storm so good luck! If you need anything let me know.

Chainbreaker

Typically you would need to run it out to a Spider Box in each distribution location (each house in your case) so you have breaker protection for each extension cord run. However in an emergency situation you gotta do what you gotta do.

jimbo913

With the way you are trying to do it, I think you would have to drive a ground for the neighbors house which could cause a double ground at your house. Why not just feed your house and run extension cords from there?

tbearatkin

With the cords coming straight off the generator to the furnace and lights plugs directly, the ground at the generator would be the ground. It would be acting as stand alone source generator. Once I have a main plug to the house installed I will just run a few cords to the neighbors house. Baby steps as funds become available. Ordered my interlock for the panel box, should be here this week. Then just save the funds for the #6 wire. Generator will be 100ft from the house.

Isaac-1

If you are looking for cheaper wiring options check out used 50 amp RV cords on ebay, they often sell cheap, sometimes with damaged plugs, etc. and are usually 3 # 6 conductors, with a #8 ground conductor. These tend to be somewhat seasonal, just don't buy the 30 amp RV cords as they are 120V only with only 3 conductors total.

Chainbreaker

...Once I have a main plug to the house installed I will just run a few cords to the neighbors house.
You probably already know this, but for others that may not and are reading this thread...One of the things you mentioned, in emergency situations like you are anticipating, is running your neighbor's Fridge via extension cords. Just be mindful that the appliance mfg's state that you are NOT to run an appliance (especially any with compressors, Fridge/Freezer, etc.) off of an extension cord; only direct wall plug connection only. Of course we know they want to make it SAFE and fool proof, and in addition, want to eliminate any added warranty exposure they might have.

There are tables you can Google where Mfg's of various HD extension cords calculate the conductor sizes you will need that take into account the distance of the run vs load that will help insure safety. I think Isaac's idea of finding good used RV cable might be a good direction to investigate. With some ingenuity you could even make your own DIY Spider Box with breaker protection as funds permit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks