• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Isolated Ground Alternators?

usmcpatriot

Recently had Alt 1 rebuilt, builder said that it was rebuilt as is....with isolated ground...so now my Alt 2 went south, and that has to have an isolated ground, no problem, so the million dollar question, can I run two isloated grounded alternators?????

usmcpatriot

Just wanted to make sure that both alternators will be isolated and grounded, as opposed to one being grounded and the other not isolated grounded thanks alot bro...!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I suggested when you get one of these is to have them both rebuilt at the same time. Maybe coincidence but it always seems they both go one right after the other especially after sitting for long periods.

I now keep spares on hand but since I now have them, the generators work fine. Bet if I get rid of them tomorrow, next week they'd go out.

1stSarge

Like CARNAC said, do both, I had alt one go out on me so I bought a rebuild kit, and the day I went to go rebuild it, ALT2 went out. I was due to go to a show that evening, so I just thought I would rebuild alt 1 as the truck will run on just ALT1 in a pinch.

Low and behold, the idiots I was doing business with, sent me the wrong parts for the kit. Hence, no taking the truck to the show. And no ability to transport my wares to the show to sell. I was livid. aua

They did ultimately send me the correct parts. I did them both the same day in about an hour.

I was an idiot for waiting until the last minute, and they were idiots for making multiple mistakes, and not offing to make anything right.

I’ll be rebuilding a spare as soon as I get hold of a rebuild able core.

From the factory, both alts are isolated grounds. But you only need it on the passengers (ALT2) side. If you look, there is a wire that grounds ALT1 negative post to the engine. Therefore, the isolated ground on that side is negated. But it makes them interchangeable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks