• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

two MEP 17as

redlight

Just aquired two mep 017as that have not run for six years. I know there are gas, but very little else. Is there manuals for both the gen set and the engines ? Where would I pick up parts for these units and any hints on how to start and test. I plan on getting both the run and then sell off one to pay for the install in the house. :)

dependable

Just so you know, those 3600 RPM gas units are loud and thirsty. If you are going to rely on one for back up power, you might want to keep the other one for parts. They aren't worth a lot of $. The manual can be found on internet in a couple places, liberated manuals site among others. Noticed paper copy cheep at amazon. It is TM 5 6115 332 14, that should get you started anyway. Saturn surplus probably has parts for motor. Good luck.

redlight

Got the two units home and unloaded from the trailer. one was bigger than the other. 4 cyl eng vs two. Label said 10 kw . What a great deal bigger one to feed the whole house, smaller one to sell and cover costs.
HOWEVER in the light of day, I can read the model number on the large unit. MEP 023 yes 10 KW but 400 hz. Now what to do. I do not think I can convert to 60 hz. Only 150 houes on the hour meter. All parts there but I guess Istrip it down and sell off the good parts, and scrap the rest. Any other ideas please!!!

Isaac-1

About the only other thing you might do is try to find an aircraft mechanic than needs a 400 hz generator for ground support

jbk

you can use the carb body from the 10 kw unit, if you swap the main jet from your 017. its the brass looking screw head top and center on the carb.

Last edited:

steelypip

Many parts interchange between those engines - the 4cyl is basically a doubled 2cyl. So there's some utility to keeping the 400Hz unit around for parts. Or if you can find an 018 with a blown engine it's an easy swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks