• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two more rescued!!

sailor2000

My Deuces made it home today... (thanks to Mike with Kinetic Frieght Services http://kineticfreight.com/ , great service and rates, and yes, you can get 2 deuces on a 44' drop deck)... one had both lower torque rod rubbers torn out, so it took some rigging with chains and a ratchet binder to get the axle to stay in position so we could pull it off the trailer... a milion thanks to my friend Rick who drove my running Deuce and pulled while I steered, pumped the brakes and said a slient prayer...... we must have done OK 'cause we still have all our fingers and toes!!!

Hopefully this weekend I can give them the once over and see if they run!!

Attachments

Mike_Pop

That looks like a scary load. I wouldn't haul a deuce with anything lighter than a tractor, let alone two deuces.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
a quick little fix to get you home if you were on the road and blew out one of those torque rod bushings is to bolt a piece of angle iron on to the bolts that clamp the torque rod plate to the rear. this will keep your rod on the wrecked bushing for the ride home. i know people who actually never fixed the bushing and just have these holding thier rear in place. of course for this roadside fix to work you have to have one angle iron mad up and in your tool box before meltdown

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a chain wraped around the end and the mount and pulled tight with a binder will get you home also, come off the axle houseing, ,around the bad end and mount efter being forced back in place, then back to the axle houseing

sailor2000

Mike said he was just under his GVWR... am VERY glad I had him haul them... and for about what my fuel $$ would have been to go get them myself...

Elwenil

JeepMan said:
Only an opionion but thats an awful long trailer for just being a double axle. Should'nt something that long be a tri-axle??
Depends on the frame of the trailer and the weight rating of the axles. They look like 10 bolt dual rims so they are pretty akin to a semi trailer which can carry 80k lbs on two axles and they generally run 48' to 53'.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the trailer is a little bent in a couple of the pics. Ouch, not sure I would have the cahones to try that load.

Didn't at least one of the trucks start up? You could've driven them home without too much problems....

sailor2000

Both have dead batts, the one with the promising 'RUNS' on the hood has no brakes and dry rotted front tires...the other has the bad torque rod ends... having them delivered was a GREAT deal for me!!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Congrats on getting them home safely S2000. Hopefully your brakes will be a simple issue. My 818 had no brakes when BigWheelBob picked it up. Turned out it had a leaky wheel cylinder. After filling and bleeding the system, it'll stop on a dime. Looks like having them hauled was the right choice for you!

MilitaryRestoration

I second jeepman, coming from a third generations trucker, trailers such as the one above or 'not' nearly built anywhere close to semi trailers. And a trailer like that should have an extra axle due to the poor design of how far back the axles are set on this specific trailer. Very risky, and really surprised wasn't pulled over by Commercial Vehicle Police. I am also a firefighter and see loads like this haunts me because I see the other side of it, when loads like that do go. Everyone needs and has their own way of getting these trucks home, but please everyone think of others when doing so and not just being so excited about getting your 'toys' home. Especially around the holidays. I know no one on here would want their loved one killed because of someone else improper loading or illegal vehicle driving on road, but at least you had the smarts to trailer them with things that were wrong with the trucks.

sailor2000

MilitaryRestoration said:
Everyone needs and has their own way of getting these trucks home, but please everyone think of others when doing so and not just being so excited about getting your 'toys' home. Especially around the holidays. I know no one on here would want their loved one killed because of someone else improper loading or illegal vehicle driving on road, but at least you had the smarts to trailer them with things that were wrong with the trucks.
Other than seeing that I used a properly licensed, insured trucker who's rig is set up for 27,000#s (more than the weight of 2 deuces) I really don't know what other care or due dilligence I could have exercised. Not being a trucking expert, those seemed like the correct things to verify. The driver was very concerned that the load not exceed his 27,000# limit and even had me send him a photo of a dash data plate to make sure the total length, weight and height was legal on his rig.Was he at max load... yes... was it legal? He seemed to think so...

spicergear

A temporary repair for those links would be to take a really sharp chisel and chisel a groove across the remains of the outer part of the bushing still remaining in the link. Once you cut a groove a cross that (sawzall would work too) then it can be collapsed and taken out. The link will then slip over into original position. They're usually too tight to go back on unless this is done. You can then ratched strap it as a temp fix and be able to move them around when you need without damaging anything/else until you're ready to do the repair.

ida34

I would not worry about it. If the trailer was rated to haul the load and the truck was rated to pull the load then it can look scary all day without being unsafe. I see he has his numbers on the side of the truck so he is obviously not an idiot with a truck. He at least follows some of the DOT regulations. He may be wrong but he should know what his trailer and truck combination are rated to haul. Also, the truck is not an average truck. Those things are made to haul heavy loads. These are not your average dually pickup. As many of you know, I am probably the first to call foul on an illegal act but I don't see anything about the load as illegal. I would not pull it over just to check the weight.

sailor2000

spicergear said:
A temporary repair for those links would be to take a really sharp chisel and chisel a groove across the remains of the outer part of the bushing still remaining in the link. Once you cut a groove a cross that (sawzall would work too) then it can be collapsed and taken out. The link will then slip over into original position. They're usually too tight to go back on unless this is done. You can then ratched strap it as a temp fix and be able to move them around when you need without damaging anything/else until you're ready to do the repair.
Thanks!!! Sounds like a plan! I need to get it out of the middle of the Museum's back lot this weekend...

Note to self: pack in toolkit saturday- chain, come-a-long, ratchet straps, wood chisel, saws-all, long extension cords and hammer(s)....

Having seen what happens with the 2 lowers failed when just trying to move the truck a few feet, I would hate for it to happen when the truck was moving at speed... the rear-rear axle rolled to the point that the u-joint was locked and would not rotate... having a locked up set of tandems while rolling down the road, the rear one at a 45 degree angle to the other... that would be bad...

rizzo

ida34 said:
I would not worry about it. If the trailer was rated to haul the load and the truck was rated to pull the load then it can look scary all day without being unsafe. I see he has his numbers on the side of the truck so he is obviously not an idiot with a truck. He at least follows some of the DOT regulations. He may be wrong but he should know what his trailer and truck combination are rated to haul. Also, the truck is not an average truck. Those things are made to haul heavy loads. These are not your average dually pickup. As many of you know, I am probably the first to call foul on an illegal act but I don't see anything about the load as illegal. I would not pull it over just to check the weight.
I have owned a flatbed (that means we tie things down instead of just shutting doors) trucking company for 10yrs and I agree.

I read this thread and it sounded like a few old hens clucking about things they don't know.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my front rear rolled about 8" just turning the 819 around so i could R & R my broke toque rod, since i had to have the the right side suspenseion apart, i changed out both uppers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks