• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Oil Leaks I Need Help Naming

HI,
I have two oil leaks I need a little help with.

Number 1 is coming from behind the harmonic balancer, I guessing there is a seal where the shaft comes out? What would the replacement be called?

Number 2 is coming from behind the engine, it looks like its coming from where the trans meets the motor. Would this be the "rear main seal" or is there other possibilities back there?

PS The leaking fluid is definitely oil and not fuel, ATF, PS fluid, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

cpf240

Both are crankshaft seals, rear main and front cover / timing cover. The rear one is sometimes oil and grease being washed off the engine by fuel leaking in the valley at the top of the engine, as that drains down to where you are seeing it. Besides bad seals, it could be that your CDR valve needs to be cleaned or replaced. These engines need a small amount of vacuum in the crankcase, or pressure can develop and push oil past those seals.

jpg

The crankcase vacuum depends on a good seal at the oil cap, the dip stick, the CDR, and all the vacuum lines associated with the CDR. One member put his air filter in wrong, killed the crankcase vacuum, and suddenly leaked oil. For me, it was cracked vacuum lines and a dried-out oil cap gasket. You need that vacuum. You may also need new seals...

cucvrus

These CUC/V's are notorious for the rear main seal. I replaced many. Once it leaks it will continue to leak. it may not leak as bad this week. But it is leaking and needs replaced. Most have had it replaced at least once. The front one is a piece of cake. Remove the harmonic balancer remove the old seal and tap another new seal in place. The rear one is a bit more challenging. It can be done in a day with basic hand tools. Follow the directions in the forum and you should be good to go. Be prepared to get very dirty. Parts are less than $50. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.

I checked the vacuum lines yesterday and the big one attached to the cdr was a little loose. I tightened that clickey hose clamp and will test drive this weekend. Fingers crossed.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As cpf240 mentioned, you may want to check your injector lines. I thought I had a rear oil seal leak but it ended up being a fuel leak and it ran down the back of the engine and out the drain at the flywheel

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't pay a shop to replace seals. Bring it over when you have free time and you and I can manage it. Meanwhile, just pour it in faster than its leaking out. That'll keep fresh oil in the motor and rust prevention for the undercarriage - it's a feature, not a bug.

While I haven't done it on the 6.2, it can't be all that different from a 350.

Thanks John I appreciate that. I could handle it myself too, if I had the time. I'll keep you posted if it stops after i tightened the hose clamp.

Last edited: