• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two problems with 1009, fuel and transmission

Fleg

I've got two problems with my 1009 that I've been troubleshooting almost since I bought it. One I'm at a lost with, the other my next step is to start spending big bucks on.

First is with the transmission. It shifts too soon. Shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 15mph then 2nd to 3rd almost immediately. The only time it doesn't do this is when I have my foot to the floor or I manually shift it. I've replaced the vacuum module on the side of the tranny and checked the rubber hoses. ATF fluid looks and smells normal.

Second problem is a lack of power. When I first bought it it ran ok at best. Pretty much what I expected from a N/A Diesel motor at 5,300 feet elevation. Since I've had it it has progressively lost power to the point that It's almost unsafe to drive and the shifting problem isn't helping. Once I get it up to speed it will hold interstate speed but getting there can literally take a couple miles if it's flat. Any incline and it will never get there. It's also getting progressively harder to start. It used to start in about 3 seconds, now it takes more then 10 and sputters to life. I haven't noticed any excess smoking other then at higher RPM's and WOT I'm getting black smoke. I'm guessing it's the IP but not sure if something else like Injectors or clogged fuel line might also be the culprit. I've replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned out the IP return line glass marble thingy.

panzerwillie

The module on the injection pump that supplys vaccum to the trany selenoid is adjustable, to make it shift fast you
move it foward and to delay back, try disconecting the vaccum line of selenoid, with out no vaccum should delay the shift to about 25mph 1-2 and 40mph 2-3, also the inside of the vaccum selenoid has adjustment i think if you turn the screw in it delays it, if this does not help maybe the governor has the incorrect springs in it, the lack of power sounds either lack of fuel supply to the IP or bad IP, you can loosen the bolts on the IP and turn it towards the driver side to advance the timing is a very little move ment, there is a mark on the cover and pump in the center, may help do to your elevation but is sounds more like internal leak or bad IP , once you fix it put a turbo you will love it i did on my and what a diffrents good luck

Fleg

You may also check your return line valve at the IP also make sure return line is not blocked. How old is your fuel filter?
I've seen it mentioned in my search about making sure the return line is not blocked but how do you do that? Fuel filter is brand new.

As for problem #1, I pulled the vacuum line off and drove down the street, the problem certainly changed as it didn't shift out of first at all so it does sound like I need to adjust the vacuum.

epitts

I've seen it mentioned in my search about making sure the return line is not blocked but how do you do that?
Take the valve off and make sure the glass ball is clean and free of dirt. Make sure the line has no kinks and is open. Not sure if you can blow air through the line or not. But remove the fuel tank filler cap and try blowing low psi in the line.

panzerwillie

It should have shifted out of first gear it almost can go to 30MPH at sea level you being in altitude may take longer
, just try moving the vaccum selenoid regulator in the IP towards the back of the motor , it has to help, you can also put a vaccum gauge on it its usually 25 inches before the regulator on the IP and around 12 inches out of it hope this helps

Fleg

Any updates or solutions on the lack of power? I'm kind of in the same boat myself...
I'm removing and replacing the IP. I got to the point of pulling the manifold off today but the rear stud on the passenger side that doubles as a ground point is giving me fits.

Fleg

Just a small update. I replaced the IP and althought it solved the hard starting issue, everything else is about the same. I have a set of rebuilt injectors on the way to hopefully fix the problem.

K9Vic

I'm removing and replacing the IP. I got to the point of pulling the manifold off today but the rear stud on the passenger side that doubles as a ground point is giving me fits.
I had the same problem with the nut on the bolt, I could not spin the nut off without turning the bolt. Could not get a wrench under the grounds, so I just cut all the grounds and replaced the ends. I was not an major issue replacing the o-ring connectors, simple trip to auto parts store.

Fleg

I haven't ruled out the Lift Pump but I figured if that was the problem then I wouldn't be getting enough fuel. Judging by the mostly black smoke it's belowing, the problem is probably the fuel not being injected properly with enough pressure.

stampy

So it's a bad injector or not enough air intake ( or some unknown mechanical issue...rings maybe). I put a cold air (semi-ram air ) setup in my 1009 with plastic duct from autozone and a connector from Lowes. It pulls air through a hole in the grille near the jump point (there is a knock out for it up there) and funnels it into my airfilter housing with the K@N it breathes well . I had planned on adding another intake to the other side but haven't yet.