• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two successful recoveries from Redstone today

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today I and my faithful sidekick, along with two possums, took the M927 up to Redstone to pick up the latest object of my affliction to whit an unidentified command trailer of questionable parentage.

While there we met up with fellow member kdaniels and his buddy who were recovering his cherry M923.

We did a pre-ops check on it and then slaved it off with my truck......it fired right up and appears to be brand new although it had some miles on the clock......in my opinion they rebuilt it but did not change out the speedo......it's that cherry. Hardtop, dropside, new tires and a very nice three color camo paint job.

After he got squared away I hooked up to "Frankentrailer" and headed back to "Akenback Acres" otherwise known as FOB Wreckerman.

I had never pulled one of these type trailers before and had some misgivings but it followed the M927 like a baby duck behind its momma.

We made it home with no issues.

I dropped it up on the back fourty that we are clearing for pasture with a good view of what I hope will be good grazing for Bambi and friends.

It has some small ports on two sides that will be used for sniping at meat critters once the new grass comes in.

I talked to Kieth a few hours ago and he was almost to his LZ and had only a few minor issues.

He promised to bring his new prize to the 2013 GA Rally (which we are all looking forward to with baited breath).

Here are some pics for your consideration.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet. Is that a 1960's gun director trailer? Are the tires 9.00-16? Any data plates on it?

ryan77

I see you got your rodents back.......... I love that 927 been thinking about it since i picked the deuce up from you!!!

3dAngus

One heck of a clearing job. Was it in mature timber prior? Not seeing stump holes, but looks like it might have been raked over. What a view that's going to be.
Nice trailer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sweet. Is that a 1960's gun director trailer? Are the tires 9.00-16? Any data plates on it?
DAMIFINO.......since Redstone is home to the Missile Command and other hinky directorates my guess it that it is/was some sort of command van. It has wiring for multiple phone lines and at one time the inside had all sorts of work stations in it.

Most of the interior has been gutted out and it would need a lot of work to make it a liveable hooch although I haven't ruled that out once I get my wood shop moved.

The tires are 1600 (maybe 16.5) and are on 5 hole rims that appear to be the same as the ones on a older M101 trailer or M37.

I was worried that they may have been dry rotted and blow out on the way home......they seemed to have made it just fine.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Noticed that trailer a couple of weeks back. I steered clear due to the odd tire size.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Noticed that trailer a couple of weeks back. I steered clear due to the odd tire size.
I previewed it a couple of times before it actually went on the block so I was aware of the oddball tires......there are duals on each corner......I did notice a spare underneath the body but it doesn't match the ones on the ground.

I would like to have fat singles all the way around if I could find rims to fit or adapt some other rims to it. It has an independent suspension with coil springs on each corner.....I was worried that it might lean way over in turns but I didn't notice any hinky movements all the way back.

It will prob sit up on the hill until I can get my shop configured and get it inside to work on.

RayK

White Trailer

I bought one of those from Pax River Naval Air Station in MD about 35 years ago - still have it here in GA - out in the woods so my wife can't see it. Just use it for storage, but thinking of a new use now - we have deer on our farm too

I previewed it a couple of times before it actually went on the block so I was aware of the oddball tires......there are duals on each corner......I did notice a spare underneath the body but it doesn't match the ones on the ground.

I would like to have fat singles all the way around if I could find rims to fit or adapt some other rims to it. It has an independent suspension with coil springs on each corner.....I was worried that it might lean way over in turns but I didn't notice any hinky movements all the way back.

It will prob sit up on the hill until I can get my shop configured and get it inside to work on.

3dAngus

The tires are 1600 (maybe 16.5) and are on 5 hole rims that appear to be the same as the ones on a older M101 trailer or M37.

I was worried that they may have been dry rotted and blow out on the way home......they seemed to have made it just fine.
The 5 lug rims for the M37 are getting harder to find now, and becoming more valuable with time if in excellent condition and can be reworked without difficulty.
I'm having to buy whole M101A1 trailers with good tires/wheels just to accomodate my M37 in a full new set of wheels and tires with spare. It's not cheap, but should pay off in the long run. The fella that sold me the M37 has another one and wants me to find him some wheels and tires for it, as he has been trying to find some "reasonable" for six months now.

Hang on to those rims if you replace them. Don't scrap.

kdaniels

Wreckerman your help with GL, slaving my truck, your knowledge of the area made my recovery much easier than it would have been. THANKS RICHARD !!!

I took the basics with me that any road trip starts with, fluids, batterys, tools , some experience, and a chase vehicle. A quick check of the vehicle revealed a leak @ the upper most part of the hose for the fluid return on the power steering unit. Once off base a decision was made to attempt a repair which required shuting down the vehicle with new batterys that have not fully charged. We repaired the hose and had to configure the battery system to use the two 1200 cranking amp TL's i brought along.

Truck fired right up with no issues and ran 380 miles south without a single issue. Wreckerman is correct this vehicle is CHERRY !!!! Under the new seats the battery box looks BRAND NEW ! The bed looks like nothing has ever been loaded into it. It still has the stickers from the rebuild facility stuck to the door and tags hanging in the cab.
Every thing on the truck looked new.....i think the issue with the hose came from it being over torqued by someone...as the leak was @ the clamp area.

AS impressed as i am about the condition i am as equally impressed with Wreckerman....Anyone thinking about a purchase from Redstone this is the man to see. I took a HUGE chance with my purchase by not pre-viewing it. Any future purchases there i will contract with Richard. The value of this forum and the folks on it is without measure !! Pics to follow.........

SEMPER FI !!

keith

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
AS impressed as i am about the condition i am as equally impressed with Wreckerman....Anyone thinking about a purchase from Redstone this is the man to see. I took a HUGE chance with my purchase by not pre-viewing it. Any future purchases there i will contract with Charles. The value of this forum and the folks on it is without measure !! Pics to follow.........
I'm always glad to help a fellow MV addict out....think of me as the "Green Iron Enabler".

Since I'm a people person (as long as said people are not annoying) I love to meet new folks......this is a great hobby for that and this is by far the best military vehicle site on the web.

I'm always on "hot standby" to make a trip to Restone for recovery or preview........Teresa said they are thinking of giving me an office up there.rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks