• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Tone Wet Sanding

Does anyone know if my colors will run (bleed together) if I try to wet sand where I have two different colors of paint? The attached picture shows the area I want to sand so that it is smoother and cleaner (hopefully) looking.

Attachments

eagle4g63

As long as they are enamel paints, they shouldn't bleed or mix with each other.......Also they need to be good and dry. Ive wet sanded many 2 tone single stage paint jobs.

Of course they were also gloss paint.....but I don't think there should be a problem.

If you really want to know......just paint a scrap piece of metal with both paints(just next to each other or in a stencil like you did) and try that piece first.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why wetsand at all? It's an MV!

Yeah, I already messed it up a little bit. The wet sanding was needed because I had some run marks from the stencils I used. Didn't have to be perfect but it would have bothered me. Also, I plan on using this truck to tail gate at Georgia Tech football games and I want it to look fairly good ("Rumblin Wreck" is a play on the "Ramblin Wreck" from Georgia Tech mascot car (see avatar)) .

I had some places on my doors that I just couldn't get the new paint to blend because the surface was so rough in spots. I wet sanded the doors and hit them with a few coats of flat paint and they looked very uniform in color while still having a rough, flat look. That is what led me to contemplate wet sanding the lettering.