• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tx 715

when we get back in town from a wedding this weekend, im going to have to come by. are you still at the shop youve been in for a while off 2920? are you an A-shifter?

brett

Wolf.Dose

TXFirefighter,
your M715 in the pics has all standard rust due to poor rust preventation of the maker. However, to make you happy, I have seen trucks years bevor which are more rotten than yours. The base is not too bad for a 40+ year old M715. My truck is from 68 and I own it 32+ years with 2 total restaurations.
Wolf

Another Ahab

TXFirefighter,
your M715 in the pics has all standard rust due to poor rust preventation of the maker. However, to make you happy, I have seen trucks years bevor which are more rotten than yours. The base is not too bad for a 40+ year old M715. My truck is from 68 and I own it 32+ years with 2 total restaurations.
Wolf
Wolf.Dose, did you have any trouble finding parts for those rebuilds?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires from TXfire's CUCV live on to see another day, they are 9.50-16.5 Firestone Transforces, going on my M880!

Attachments

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be heading to G&G machine shop with the 300 6 cyl engine this week.
I was parussing the Summit catalog the other day and made a "Wish List" of parts. Totaled it up and had a stroke! $2700 worth of "Wishing"!!
So, I spent time evaluating the engine again this weekend and have trimmed the list substantially.

When completed it should be in the 275 Hp range with an expected 240 lb ft of torque. Plenty for pushing the 715 down the trail. I also located a ZF 5spd trans to hang behind it.
So far I having MUCH better luck with this Ford engine than I was with 6.2's

Oh, NDT, Thanks for helping me clear some room in the shop!!! Hope the tires get lots of use on the 880!

Another Ahab

Will be heading to G&G machine shop with the 300 6 cyl engine this week.
I was parussing the Summit catalog the other day and made a "Wish List" of parts. Totaled it up and had a stroke! $2700 worth of "Wishing"!!
So, I spent time evaluating the engine again this weekend and have trimmed the list substantially.

Dream.jpg

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine is still at the machine shop. I was calling around and Rustyshakleford turned me on to a sand blasting Co. Well, since I don't have a flat bed trailer at the present time, I decided to build a pair of tow feet so I can flat tow it to the blaster.
I cut out the parts, drilled the 1" hole for the tow bar pin, then tacked and welded out. I haven't cleaned them up any. It was getting late so I left them to cool and will clean, prime and paint later.

Tow foot.jpg Tow feet.jpg

This is the backside of one of them. I welded them on both sides.

Tow foot back.jpg

Last edited:

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I come home and read SS. I see all the progress going on with others trucks and I thinks to myself, The only reason their trucks are progressing and mine is still in neutral is me! So I spent the last 2 nights in the shop. Even though I am still waiting on the machine shop for engine progress, There are lots of things I can still do.
I have the chassis scheduled for the blaster next week.
Been working on the dash board the last 2 evenings. I got the red and white stripped and then welded up the Fire Dept added holes.

Dash board.jpg

Dash after welding.jpg

Last edited:

Barrman

Something is wrong with that dash plate. There aren't a million holes for microphone holders like mine has. Since you are the fireman, want to swap dash plates?

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something is wrong with that dash plate. There aren't a million holes for microphone holders like mine has. Since you are the fireman, want to swap dash plates?
That is several hours of grinder, sander and TIG work :)
Dang Firemen are always punching holes in stuff!

penokeevet

I had a similar situation with rust on my M715. First MV I purchased online from a private party without first checking it out. The seller had a high positive rating on the popular auction site and the pictures attached to the ad looked great. I was 2000 miles distant from the seller, and purchased based on the seller's high rating and numerous pictures. I didn't actually see the vehicle for 5 months, when I returned from an extended trip. The owner had tapped over numerous worm holes then painted the entire vehicle (actually a crummy paint job when I actually saw it up close). I have to look for a donor vehicle next summer (front fenders, grill, etc.). The only redeeming thing is that he had put in over $17,000.00 in parts and repairs per receipts I have. I paid $7,200. Will post pictures next summer when working on it. (I'm on another extended winter trip, away from my MV,s). 79 and not getting any smarter.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks