• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TxDOT's 1918 Vintage "LIBERTY" TRUCK

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By now you would think that I know better than to post when I'm tired.

The other day I intended to create this dedicated thread for the subject vehicle, but inadvertently dropped it into the MV SPOTTED Thread.

SO..... Today I correct my miscue.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the TxDOT 1918 LIBERTY TRUCK....

------------------------------------------------

Quoting my original Feb. 6, 2017 post:
-------------------------------------------

I am in Austin, Texas for a couple of days for the 2017 TEXAS TRANSPORTATION FORUM. (I'll explain a bit more of that later.)

This year is the 100th Anniversary of TxDOT (Texas Department of Transportation).

For this special even, they rolled out their 1918 LIBERTY TRUCK.
I'll be posting some pics and a video of her running after we all go have dinner this evening.....

STAY TUNED ! ! ! . . . . .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 665567 . View attachment 665568

Notice the WOVEN BELT driving a single engine accessory shaft.
That shaft runs THROUGH the pumps, alternator and finally drives the distributor. Pretty coll if you ask me.

The TxDOT guys said the engine is a Continental and has two pairs of cylinders in the two cast block sections. Supposedly, the same engine components are common to a two-cylinder variant that powered other equipment of the era.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also in attendance at the Transportation Forum was our county's County Judge - Steve Floyd (also of San Angelo). I came to find out that he shares an interest in old vehicles and machinery.
We both retreated between Forum Sessions to go play around the LIBERTY TRUCK.....

View attachment 665569 . View attachment 665570

Then, of course, I took a turn in the cab too....
View attachment 665571 . View attachment 665572

Since it was almost time for the TxDOT guys to take the Liberty Truck "home", they offered to let me drive it around the corner and help load it onto their equipment trailer.
After seriously considering the offer I declined. Yup, turned 'em down.
We had already discussed how difficult the steering was, and how hard it had been for them to bring her around the block after unloading it that morning.
I just didn't want to risk the liabilities - being a Texas State Artifact and all - with trying to swing a TIGHT corner on narrow city streets at 5PM!!! Sorry, but this troop didn't want to make the evening news! LOL

All said..... She sure is sweet!

Oh, and beginning soon the Liberty Truck will be passed around to all the 25 Texas Highway Districts as part of the TxDOT 100th Anniversary.
I'll try to get their schedule and post it here.

Carry on.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also in attendance at the Transportation Forum was our county's County Judge - Steve Floyd (also of San Angelo). I came to find out that he shares an interest in old vehicles and machinery.
We both retreated between Forum Sessions to go play around the LIBERTY TRUCK.....

View attachment 665569 . View attachment 665570

Then, of course, I took a turn in the cab too....
View attachment 665571 . View attachment 665572

Since it was almost time for the TxDOT guys to take the Liberty Truck "home", they offered to let me drive it around the corner and help load it onto their equipment trailer.
After seriously considering the offer I declined. Yup, turned 'em down.
We had already discussed how difficult the steering was, and how hard it had been for them to bring her around the block after unloading it that morning.
I just didn't want to risk the liabilities - being a Texas State Artifact and all - with trying to swing a TIGHT corner on narrow city streets at 5PM!!! Sorry, but this troop didn't want to make the evening news! LOL

All said..... She sure is sweet!

Oh, and beginning soon the Liberty Truck will be passed around to all the 25 Texas Highway Districts as part of the TxDOT 100th Anniversary.
I'll try to get their schedule and post it here.

Carry on.
Here are a couple of links for y'all....

TxDOT's 100th Birthday announcement site:
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/statewide-news/03-2017.html

Schedule for the LIBERTY TRUCK's Tour around the State of Texas....
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdot100/schedule.htm

FrankUSMC

Wow, nice truck!! what is the history between the truck and the Texas DOT? did they get it as surplus after the war to end all wars?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Another Ahab

Wow, nice truck!! what is the history between the truck and the Texas DOT? did they get it as surplus after the war to end all wars?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
You nailed it, Frank USMC; that's exactly how they got it.

It's in the story there if you read the link. It sure is impressively restored; very cool.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely understand why you turned down the offer. That rig is very daunting to handle, especially in downtown traffic at rush hour. The other kicker is you were wearing a suit. Suits were not designed to allow ease of shoulder rotation and elbow flex while driving a 99 year old truck!!!

I learned how to drive my Model A out in horse country with no traffic around me, and I was still intimidated by it. It took me almost 20 miles to get the feel of the car and learn to drive her without double clutching.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely understand why you turned down the offer. That rig is very daunting to handle, especially in downtown traffic at rush hour. The other kicker is you were wearing a suit. Suits were not designed to allow ease of shoulder rotation and elbow flex while driving a 99 year old truck!!!

I learned how to drive my Model A out in horse country with no traffic around me, and I was still intimidated by it. It took me almost 20 miles to get the feel of the car and learn to drive her without double clutching.
I wasn't going to go into all the detailed downers to the opportunity, but you described my "driving clothes" quite well.

I understand she was also "cranky" about being started for loading on the trailer after all. Kinda glad I didn't personally suffer THAT embarrassment.

saddamsnightmare

February 17th, 2017.

Most state highway departments were loaded down after WWII with Liberty trucks, and most of them ended up with 60CM gauge trench railroad equipment that built highways into the 1930's and 40's because the locomotives could move faster then the trucks with a given load. It would have been hard to resist the driving of that beast, but as my family owned a much smaller 1908 International Auto-Wagon truck that often took tow to drive it, you probably did the right thing.[thumbzup]
For the State of Texas DoT in preserving the truck in a runnable condition!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome piece of history! Thanks for posting.

I'm wondering if those are repair welds visible on the jugs. It didn't look like decorations or normal cast marks.

Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't go on the last day. Was all set to go to the Houston exhibit and called to verify it was open and they told me they just packed up for the next city.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome piece of history! Thanks for posting.

I'm wondering if those are repair welds visible on the jugs. It didn't look like decorations or normal cast marks.

Rick
Those lines DID look like repair welds, but the crew with the truck could now really was what was under the paint. My foundry experience tells me that those lines could have been defects in the sand mold, but not a rejectable condition. "Pour that iron anyway, we got a WORLD WAR to win!!!"

The freeze plugs also look a bit funky. It could be that she was frozen and cracked at some point in time, but was repaired and returned to service.

saddamsnightmare

March 9th, 2017.

With the right blacksmith, machinist, pattern maker, foundryman and welder on the job, just about anything can be made to run, and with 3D prototyping and CAT scans, even Ford was able to replicate a new set of 1914 Model T engines for cars that they built for the company's centennial. Our 1908 IH Auto Wagon fell into the class, even in the 1930's the chance of finding parts was slim to none, and by the 1960's.......

That engine, in terms of weight to power ratio was very conservatively designed and would make a Multifuel look like the designer was a real risk taker by Army standards.:?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks