• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

types of deuce steering axles

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rip open the boot and jam your hand in there. If you feel a U-joint, thats what you got. If you don't, you don't.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original deuces (M135) had CV joints, the M35 use U-joints. You notice the "wobble" when turning the M35 with the front axle engaged.
If you can find the CV-joints, they will fit in the M35 axle housings, but may need a different seal, that's all.
When at Barstow, CA back in '06, there was a bin filled with CV-joints...

Attachments

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

joint types

This won't help with how to identify the different types, but it helps one to understand what they are. This picture was given to me by a rock crawler dude who buys axles from me, I forgot which one, sorry.

Derek Taylor

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only axles I've seen with the ball type joint were Timken axles. I'm not saying none of the Rockwells have ball type joint but every Rockwell I've seen had u-joints.

I've always just cut the boot and feel in there to make sure. The buyers don't seem to mind you cutting the boot. Most of the time they want to feel in there also to confirm what you told them.

derby

It is strange that the CV type are weaker, they have so much surface area to spread the power. Why do all (or most) front wheel drive cars have the CV type? My wives Saturn is fwd CV and between what it weigh's and can tow is about 9500lbs and has 275hp.:driver:

stumps

It's all about smoothness of power flow. To go to the logical extreme, imagine a U-joint set at 90 degrees. It would block and not turn. But at 45 degrees, the power will still flow, but it will be lumpy. CV joints transfer power smoothly at any angle they are rated to bend.

-Chuck

ODdave

It is strange that the CV type are weaker, they have so much surface area to spread the power. Why do all (or most) front wheel drive cars have the CV type? My wives Saturn is fwd CV and between what it weigh's and can tow is about 9500lbs and has 275hp.:driver:
i belive it is the materials and process in which they where made is what deemed the cv joint axles weaker, same with the repeza joint

KsM715

If you read thru all the links you'll find out the cv joint is not weaker but the axle shaft on the cv type is the weak link. supposedly they are brittle and wont twist but just snap instead. The shafts on the U-joint style are made to allow the axle to twist some and absord some of the shock load before breaking.

After reading all of this there apprears to be know way of knowing for sure what type of joint is in the axle with out sticking your fingers in there to find out.

Edit: ODdave types much faster than I do. ;)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do all (or most) front wheel drive cars have the CV type? My wives Saturn is fwd CV and between what it weigh's and can tow is about 9500lbs and has 275hp.:driver:
Whenever a u-joint isn't straight the velocity of the shaft speeds up and slows down as the axle turns. That's why when you cut sharp in the deuce or cucv with 4X4 engaged the front end trys lunge forward. It's the shaft changing velocity.

A CV joint is just that "constant velocity". It's basicly two u-joints in one. When into a turn the velocity is changed by one joint and the other joint is 180deg different so it cancels the velocity change out. This is also why you have to "time" driveshafts, so the velocity change will cancel itself out and not send it to the rear axle.