• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U Joint adventure

blybrook

Yes, you can press the caps too far. One tip is to not put the retaining rings in place until the caps are properly placed. Too much pressure can bust the cap as well.

Typically the caps will be flush or just below the ear surface. Depends if you have inner or outer lock rings.

HTH

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Well, after my front axle problem and wheel bearing replacement, I decided to take everything apart and inspect my work. Not that I don't trust myself, but as our Quality Assurance sections says: "In God we trust....all others we test, check, inspect and verify." Everything I replaced looked good, and while I had everything off of the front end, I figured I may as well pull the spindles and propeller shafts to replace the front U-joints...after all, they just 'pop' on and off, right? ....wrong. Now I'm not sure if there is some sort of trick to removing factory U-joints from the front axle, but the only trick that worked for me was a plasma cutter and a hydrolic press. Thank God I have a mechanically equiped buddy who is more than willing to work for beer. I bought the top of the line U-joints (and needed the press to get them seated) so I should be set for a good long while. Anyone else ever played this game? There has to be an easier way to do this....GM just can't be that mean...
In the Marine Corps we had what was called a SCAMP Platoon. It stood for "Sensor Control and Management Platoon" the motto was "In God we Trust, all others we Monitor".