• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-Joint removal

timberrrrrr

I am going to remove the drive shafts on my M1078 and have them balanced.

Attached is a picture of one of the new u-joints for my M1078. They aren't like u-joints I have replaced in the past ( all on smaller trucks) The bolt plates/covers and the bearing caps are all one piece.

I haven't taken the bolts out of the u-joints on my truck yet, therefore I am not sure if the plates on the current u-joints are part of the bearing cap or if they are separate.

With these plates as part of the cap, how are you supposed to press the u-joints out to remove them?

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
they are part of the bearing cap. Remove the bolts from both side. Good firm hit in the yoke end on the opposed side driving the one cap out. Then go the other way. Both caps must be out for the joint to come out.

Firm solid blows with a 4lb sledge

You don't need the Joint tool unless you really don't know how to swing a hammer

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to remove the drive shafts on my M1078 and have them balanced.

Attached is a picture of one of the new u-joints for my M1078. They aren't like u-joints I have replaced in the past ( all on smaller trucks) The bolt plates/covers and the bearing caps are all one piece.

I haven't taken the bolts out of the u-joints on my truck yet, therefore I am not sure if the plates on the current u-joints are part of the bearing cap or if they are separate.

With these plates as part of the cap, how are you supposed to press the u-joints out to remove them?
Like simp5782 said, a good swift smack with a 3# hammer - short handle so you can be in complete control of your swing will work. Your point of impact needs to be right beside the cap on that big hunk of steel that the U-Joint presses into.

Since you aren't broken down on the side of the road, take a few days and use your penetrating oil of choice and soak both sides of the cap to help free it up. Remove the Zerk fittings on the joint before trying to remove it.

The Tiger Tool is something nice to have but isn't always required.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Mullaney. Sometimes you get lucky and the caps are not seized and they could be hammered out. The tool just makes easy work of it. Yes it does cost a lot if you buy the tiger brand and there are cheaper brands but I do not know the quality. Also for a one time use most will not want to spend that much. Having worked in a heavy truck shop and maybe having to do a class 8 propeller shaft U joint a day the tool was nice to have. The trucks were in Northern Virginia where they were run for many years being used for snow removal and salt spreading. Now those U joints could get seized up and glad I had the tool.

Last edited:

timberrrrrr

Thanks for the replies

How would the Tiger tool work with these particular caps that won't press through the yoke since the bolting tab plate is a part of the cap?

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No worries Mullaney. Sometimes you get lucky and the caps are not seized and they could be hammered out. The tool just makes easy work of it. Yes it does cost a lot if you buy the tiger brand and there are cheaper brands but I do not know the quality. Also for a one time use most will not want to spend that much. Having worked in a heavy truck shop and maybe having to do a class 8 propeller shaft U joint a day the tool was nice to have. The trucks were in Northern Virginia where they were run for many years being used for snow removal and salt spreading. Now those U joints could get seized up and glad I had the tool.
Right you are Floridianson !

I spent 5 years in a heavy truck shop and strangely enough most of it military except the equipment to haul the equipment. Company I worked for built steel power lines where nobody else wanted to work in the swamps and on mountain tops. Former MV's were perfect for that kind of work. Their shop was here in Charlotte. Funny how it works... I have toolbox from "back in the day" and like a lot of mechanics - those tools are about the value of a new Corvette ;-) I had no idea there was any such thing as a "Tiger Tool" back then... If I had, chances are I would have had one for each size. Got all kinds of weird bent oddball wrenches, crows feet and the like...

My wrecker came out of Ohio. No idea what they use on their roads - but it does a fine job of making everything more difficult than it should be! All of the u-joints seem solid... I am just hoping the solid isn't because everything is seized up. Have to laugh to keep from crying...

snowtrac nome

I got my tool from amazon its the oem brand it seems to wok well and only cost an arm. in the day i have used a bottle jack to push on the yoke and press the caps out then you have to jack a wheel and spin the shaft so you can press the other side out. Amazon also had a cool little press to put the caps back in keeping the holes aligned, for i think the additional 30 bucks it was worth it to buy something i could have built

JD4044M

I will buy one once I get my truck here and check my drive shafts out for play. Need to get over the cash payment and license fee's first to keep the misses happy. She gave me her birthday money to finish what I needed to buy it. I want to try out this pulley puller first to see if it will work. Same principle as that tool just way bigger arms to work with.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I will buy one once I get my truck here and check my drive shafts out for play. Need to get over the cash payment and license fee's first to keep the misses happy. She gave me her birthday money to finish what I needed to buy it. I want to try out this pulley puller first to see if it will work. Same principle as that tool just way bigger arms to work with.
Sounds like you have a wonderful missus. After all, a boy has to have his toys and she is helping make sure that happens. :cool:

I hope your truck shows up soon! Gotta make sure that you give us all a nice round of pictures...

JD4044M

I love taking pictures! I have over 3500 on one card for other restores. This M1078 is going to be my best documented toy. This one is a keeper was kicking around building a Camper Shell for it only to the cab top for height tonight. One I could remove with the Fork on my loader on my tractor. It can lift 1500 lbs easy. Yes I do have a wonderful wife of 36 years on November 17th. She has her toys too!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazon also had a cool little press to put the caps back in keeping the holes aligned, for i think the additional 30 bucks it was worth it to buy something i could have built

Funny and yea you could built one. I guess I just like having tools that make my life easer. Yea it keeps the cap in line real nice and they go in real smooth and not get cocked. No beating them with a hammer. Also I have a son that has a son so my tools will live on long after I am worm food.

Attachments

Last edited: