• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S.S. Kitty Hawk FS

papercu

KI4GSN

I hope someone in America gets it and will respect it for what it is. I'd love to see it come here and live beside the North Carolina, but there's no way they could get a carrier in that small of a space. They had a tough enough time with the battleship.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sort of on the fence with this one. The Kitty Hawk was the only ship I served on during my 6 years in the Navy and I would like to see her continue to project force where she is needed.

She wasn't built to be a museum although if it comes down to razor blades and a museum I would choose the museum.

I am reasonably sure that she won't fit next the North Carolina. Besides, what would they do with all the gators? :)

Great tour if you are in the 'hood. I didn't realize how much claustrophobia I had until I got below decks in the big gun turret.

steve

Blood_of_Tyrants

A big part of selling the KH to India would also mean selling them airplanes. IIRC, the US government is practically giving the KH away in order to make those aircraft sales (and munitions and parts and everything else that goes with it.)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay

I will add the squadron.

VF-114, USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 '75-78

jpinst

I was just on the Kitty hawk in Hong Kong last week, her final foreign port call. The ship looked to be in top shape and the crew was quite welcoming. HK is always a good port call in that region, and the sailors loved it. They had an unusual 6 day visit, probably do to the denial of their last visit at the last minute during Thanksgiving 07. We had the Admiral, CO and Counsel general Say a few words and had a nice buffet in the hangar bay. They took us up on deck and let us look at the planes and choppers. Most of the guests were connected to US companies in HK or the consulate. I myself am a reservist, and always enjoy being on the big boys. Don't worry guys, I have read a lot on the internet about the India transaction, but as far as i know, its a non issue at this point. Maybe too political, who knows.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Selling the Kitty Hawk would mean billions of dollars in sales of aircraft, spare parts and training for the US. It would also put US shipbuilders to work refurbishing the ship at no cost to the US.

area52

Maybe we could all chip in and buy it and put it in someones back yard pond!!! Sure would beat that guy that has a train car in his back yard!! :shock: :cookoo:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the fact that there is no room next to the USS North Carolina. When that battleship was moved into place back in 1962, turning the ship into her new slip actually caused the ship to impact a dockside business, as the ship's length took up the entire width of the river she is berthed on!

Below is the pic of the USS North Carolina, the river she was tugged in on is to the right. The river's flow is from top to bottom. They had to dredge a large section of the river just to turn her into the slip, and even that wasn't enough. Note the length of the ship vs. the width of the river.

Attachments

krick3tt

USS Kitty Hawk

I served on the 'Hawk' in VF 213 for three tours from 66 to 69. Haven't been on it since I left except to see it in San Diego when she was still active and in Bremerton when she was inactive. Great ship, lots of memories there. That was a big part of my life that, fortunately, I still remember.

Happy trails

JCease

Also of note in the above picture of the North Carolina is the Coast Guard's "Dilligence". It calls Wilmington home and spends time combatting drug runners in the Caribbean.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did a three carrier op with her on my last Nimitz cruise. Got some greats pics on my other computer. Grand old lady she was...................

Jinx

Last of the non-nuclear aircraft carriers. :salute:

If we had to sell an aircraft carrier to a foreign power, I'd much prefer it to be one without a nuclear reactor than one with.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I served on the 'Hawk' in VF 213 for three tours from 66 to 69. Haven't been on it since I left except to see it in San Diego when she was still active and in Bremerton when she was inactive. Great ship, lots of memories there. That was a big part of my life that, fortunately, I still remember.

Happy trails

Two tours '75, 77-78 and 6 weeks in the yard at Bremerton on her during her conversion to carrying F-14s in early 77.

I've been on several carriers and sailed on the America as well but there is nothing like your first. :)

PO1 Bradley
VF-114 Fighting Aardvarks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks