• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ugh i rolled her!

Milkman357

crawler..

that was my first idea..

I can't justify something like that... I need something that I can drive in the winter.

It would be alot of fun to strip it of everything and 4 wheel with it!

I think I might have a body already lined up.....saving it from a torch!

(Keeping my fingers crossed)

I'm lucky my Guardian Angel was on duty that night.

The State trooper that waited with me said the first wreck he'd been to that night he had to give the bad news to the deceased's wife.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've talked to alot of experts in auto extrication for the FD. State instructors, industry experts, etc. They all say the same thing. Once a vehicle has had the halo "broken", it will NEVER be as stong as it was, not matter how good a welding job you do.

I'd find another truck, and parts swap. You got lucky once, the truck gave it's life for yours, dont push your luck trying to keep it alive....

stumps

I am sorry for your misfortune, truly I am. And, I've done the same sort of thing myself, as has most every other guy that has driven a 4WD vehicle in the snow and felt invincible.

Our pride needs a good kick in the pants, over and over again until the message gets through our thick skulls. Just because you have traction in the snow doesn't mean you can drive your truck like you just stole it.

Consider this: Your truck may be able to drive through the snow, but it cannot stop any better than any other truck, and it cannot corner any better either.

Take it easy next time. You survived the lesson and the test, for that I am thankful. Next time you might not.

-Chuck

Last edited:

littlebob

Glad your OK, I rolled a Civic when I was 19. I'm sure somebody else was along and helped.
We turned over at 60MPH from hydroplaning into a guard rail. We were very lucky, with no seatbelts, we only had a scratch on my nose and a scratch on my friends knee.
Welcome to the wrong side up club! Hope We only have to do it once.

Bobert

I didn't think about a full body swap, if you want that whole thing its yours. It's in fairly good shape if I remember right.
That might turn out better than a top swap.

I can give you a hand. Hopefully your frame is ok.

I don't know how complete the wiring is on it is, but it at least has a start.

Devilman did a frame off restoration and look where his is at haha.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27571-cucv-build-here-we-go-again-18.html

Capt.Marion

You've got a good parts truck. Good motor, electronics (hopefully), etc... basically you are familiar with what components are good and which are bad.

I'd buy a new truck and start over, and if you have any bad parts on the new truck, replace them with ones from the totalled truck. Sell the rest of the good parts and recover some $$, if you need to. Something just doesn't feel right about driving a truck that's been rolled that bad.

mckeeranger

Wow!

Glad you came out of it OK. It's a shame about the truck though.

If the frame is OK, I'd go for the body tub swap. You can decide how perfect you want it to be, and make it so.

You might consider taking it to a frame shop, just to get it checked out. I'm not sure what they would charge to measure it out, but they should have all the specs on it. Otherwise: If you get the body off and can get it on a level concrete slab, you can just make sure it's the right length, and symmetrical. That would be the best indicator that it's OK.

Again, glad you're OK, the truck can be replaced.

woodyNla

Sorry about your truck. That had to hurt your feelings to bang it up. At least the truck can be either fixed or replaced. Glad you are still alive and able to move on. I agree with others who say that the body should be replaced or use your good parts in another. Don't take the chance of trying to fix the existing body.

Scarecrow1

The geat thing is that you are ok,,, the bad is the old girl needs to be put to rest.. Thats far too much damage to be repaired without exceding the value of the truck ...Good part is you will have a parts truck if you get a new one ......:wink:

saddamsnightmare

January 11th, 2010.

My experience with K series Blazers is once the truck has been turned over like yours has, particularly with some speed involved, the frame is rarely sound enough to salvage, and if attempted it will never be "Right" again, leading to other problems down the road. The best thing would be to junk the truck for parts and pick up another new one that hasn't had the abuse heaped on it. You have a good set of spare drivetrain parts from this one, but little else.
If you can't get rid of the truck jones, at least take it to a frame shop and get it checked. Even with a parts truck donor you will have more involved in repairing the old truck tghen it is worth.... Be glad you didn't pull that stunt in an M38A,M37 or M35, you would not have walked away from the accident. To many drivers have "SAAB" mentality.... I'm driving a tank so I can't get hurt in bad weather or accidents, regrettably that mentality has cost many a man his life or at least his limbs.....

Be careful, stay safe, and drive it like its an eggshell, cause it really is.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

N.B. CUCV parts don't work well on an M35A2 nor a S404.114 Unimog. My experience with the K Blazers is that they take more damage then meets the eye in a rollover, partially because there is no cab back wall like a PU has. If the bodie's bent, Ill bet the frames bent too.
We had a MG Midget, which has a much heavier proportionate to its size body & frame, seam welded, not spotted, and it took frame damage just being rolled on its side at 1 or 2 miles per hour. Midgets are tanks in their frames compared to Chevy's, but the damage was there anyway. Very few machines take being rolled well!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Last edited:

wkbrdngsnw

The rest of the body looks ok in the pictures, so you could just replace the windshield frame and put on a soft top like the original blazers. Although, without the roof a rollcage might be a good idea.

Milkman357

Alot of good ideas / advice

I'm gonna rebuild something....

My goal is to have it back together by next hunting season.

I do have some options thanks to Bobert!

I would be surprised if my Frame is bad. I rolled it cleanly.....or I didn't hit anything. If the frame is bad after a clean roll that would be very discouraging, I would expect it to be stronger.

Luckily, it sounds like I have a donor Body and maybe frame if I need it.

So now I need to invest in..... Rusted parts Penetrant..

I guess I know what I'll be doing this spring / summer!

I might even have to suck it up and start work this winter.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

zout

part yours out and make some money on it and get another. Glad to see you are ok but it looks like you got a little shorter in the rollover :roll: and took a few years outta your life

zout

all these guys ? I do not have a truck like this nor plans to buy one. It is logical unless he has his own tools and equipment to rebuild on his own with no outside intervention.
If he would need outside assistance - the cost start rising in the rebuild and therefore less expensive to buy another and sell off for parts what he has - or save it for his spare.
Roll it over - check to see if axle housing are now bent - alignment shop
Roll it over - any hair line fractures in the frame ? is the frame bent ?
Roll it over - just plain body work is the visual items.
Roll it over - is there now incubation stages of damage to the steering gear ?

I have nothing to gain from his loss - but I did loose a member that had a good ride at one time and only suggesting his choices he has to make.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks