• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UH-1M Seeking History of THIS Helicopter

Guyfang

Staff member
TOPEKA REGIONAL AIRPORT @ FORBES FIELD, TOPEKA, KANSAS

These folks are restoring a Bird. Look them up, and ask them for help.

Also, see if TACOM has a public relations rep. Most every gate guard/static display relic, is controlled by TACOM. If you can find out who is the PR person, might get you a lead on more info and where to get it.

charlesmann

I'm sure there is a huey group out there, like there is for the ch-47s. i can't for the life of me remember the 47 group, but on the group, if a person a tail number, and or a s/n, info can be looked up for that specific a/c, going back to its first unit of service, to current status, or retirement.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s some info. The Huey M or Mike model started out as UH-1C. This helo was built in 1966 and was given the serial number 66-15234. My primary source of information only states that it was converted to UH-1M. The UH-1C was used during Vietnam mostly as a gun ship. If you can find a data plate, usually on one of the pillars, take a pic and post it. I can provide more info with this info. One of the issues with the C or Charley model was its engine. It just didn’t have enough power to do what the Army wanted. The Cobra, AH-1 had not been put into service and the Army needed a more powerful, more capable airframe. They achieved this be installing a UH-1H engine on the Charleys, which required a name change. There were other mods necessary to fully upgrade the Mikes, I’ll need to dig real deep to find out more of that info. With an upgraded engine, my initial thought is the Mikes used the drive trance of the H, including engine drive shaft, main transmission, mast, awash plate and support assemblies and rotor blades. One I find my book I’ll be able to confirm that.
You M model is numbered 0-15234. In Army-ese, the 0 indicates the last digit of the year it was produced. In this case, it would seem it shows the year it was converted into a M. My best guess is the conversion contract was let in 1970.
Like I said, I may have more information but I need the info off the data plates. The plates are roughly 2x3 inches and are usually unpainted aluminum . I’m attaching a photo of a couple I have in my collection.EC93A6B8-1A45-4D98-A803-4BC2461DA402.jpeg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave your pics a good looking over and you are in luck. There is a 90 degree gearbox on the tail. This, hopefully, indicates you have an intact drive train. Also, the primary servos and main transmission are installed. You’ll need to find/install a mast, a swashplate and scissor assembly and a main rotor hub and blades. You’ll also need to locate a tail rotor hub and blades to finish off the major components. Take lots of pics, the more, the better.

Chaos357

Here’s some info. The Huey M or Mike model started out as UH-1C. This helo was built in 1966 and was given the serial number 66-15234. My primary source of information only states that it was converted to UH-1M. The UH-1C was used during Vietnam mostly as a gun ship. If you can find a data plate, usually on one of the pillars, take a pic and post it. I can provide more info with this info. One of the issues with the C or Charley model was its engine. It just didn’t have enough power to do what the Army wanted. The Cobra, AH-1 had not been put into service and the Army needed a more powerful, more capable airframe. They achieved this be installing a UH-1H engine on the Charleys, which required a name change. There were other mods necessary to fully upgrade the Mikes, I’ll need to dig real deep to find out more of that info. With an upgraded engine, my initial thought is the Mikes used the drive trance of the H, including engine drive shaft, main transmission, mast, awash plate and support assemblies and rotor blades. One I find my book I’ll be able to confirm that.
You M model is numbered 0-15234. In Army-ese, the 0 indicates the last digit of the year it was produced. In this case, it would seem it shows the year it was converted into a M. My best guess is the conversion contract was let in 1970.
Like I said, I may have more information but I need the info off the data plates. The plates are roughly 2x3 inches and are usually unpainted aluminum . I’m attaching a photo of a couple I have in my collection.View attachment 793199

Chaos357

Thanks jeffhuey1n I have not been able to get the right sliding door open yet but I will. haven't found any data plates on other doors or pillars.
will get my son to take pictures and get them on here.

Chaos357

I gave your pics a good looking over and you are in luck. There is a 90 degree gearbox on the tail. This, hopefully, indicates you have an intact drive train. Also, the primary servos and main transmission are installed. You’ll need to find/install a mast, a swashplate and scissor assembly and a main rotor hub and blades. You’ll also need to locate a tail rotor hub and blades to finish off the major components. Take lots of pics, the more, the better.
I have the transmission but no engine so that's a good starting place to start for mounting the rotor when and if I find one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks