• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh Oh!

Bill W

Noticed some heavy rust around the rear spring U- bolts, so I took the needle gun and sandblaster to clean them up., This is whats left.

Attachments

Capt.Marion

Ironhorsethegeneral had the same problem on the one if his trucks that's from Pennsylvania. Glad I've lived my whole life in the Southland, I wouldn't like any salt corrosion on me!

maxim

Been there, done that. Mine turned into quite a task to remove and clean up and replace. The u-bolts were so terrible frozen in I soaked and heated and beat on them and broke two heads on the air hammer to get them out they were about as bad as yours. If I recall a semi truck shop made new ones for about $50. I took out the bearings and examined them and re-lubed. Take care in supporting all the components as they are heavy and can shift on you. I also cleaned and repainted the blocks. I ended up cutting the u-bolts off with a cut off wheel so the air hammer could get a bite on them from the top. My truck was from Michigan and 35 years of the salt setting in the pocket with dirt and not being cleaned out had rusted the u-bolt nearly in half.

ida34

There is a gap around the u-bolt that clogs up easily. I was able to get all the stuff out and my U bolts were still intact. Everyone should check their trucks and clean out the gap. You may find your u-bolt in a similar condition.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The entire arse of my pipeline truck was like that, very bad. That's the main reason it got scrapped.

Bill W

Yeah this is a northern deuce (came from Michigan). I'll check Memphis ( Thanks), if they're to high I go check out my not so local Brake & Spring shop

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks