• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh oh.....

that1028guy

Fuseable link smoke and sparks

I was installing new belts on my 1031, and pushed the pass side alt in as far as i could to try and get the new belt on. And heard a pop, and the wire going to the 12v distro block on the firewall started smoking, as well as the wire into the 2nd alt, that apparently grounded to the steel return like running behind it, i was able to pry the alt back in a reasonable amount of time, everything still works, but the DS alt is pretty warm, and the wire between the "fusible link" and the 12v distro block is missing all of its insulation. My question to you gentleman is this, what are the fusible links supposed to be rated for? and what fuse should i use to replace said link, because obviously I don not trust it any longer is that short to ground didnt pop it. I searched fusible link and did not find anything helpful. Thank you in advance, and yes I got the belts on.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First you should have a better title for anyone searching in the future.

What you did is ground the front battery feed to the alternator bracket. You should always disconnect the batteries when changing belts.

The fusible link wire size is listed in the wiring diagrams. You start with reading the first few pages of the Troubleshooting section, and then the wiring diagrams.

I don't have access to my laptop or I would post the wire size.

This issue has been talked about hundreds of times.

Do not replace the fusible link with a fuse. They are designed to do two completely different functions. Read Wikipedia for a good description.

Last edited:

that1028guy

Alright, Thank you sir for the pointers. I was not able to change the title of the thread, but was able to change my first post. If you are, please be my guest. My initial post was made in frustration and not thinking clearly. I appologise for that. After further investigation, one of the blue wires after the distrubution block was completely melted, I believe that is the feed from or to the first alt. So I have two wires I am going to have to replace. After reading wikipedia I can replace the wires with a wire 4 sizes smaller than what is before the fusible link?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the wiring diagram and the fusible link that toasted.

The Black Plastic barral connector on the link has the fusible link wire size stamped into it.

Looking at the wiring diagram the wire is labeled "3 BLU 2H THERMO HW"

This tells us thet the wire Blue Size #3, Fusible link and labeled 2H in the diagrams to aid in tracing the wire.

Wire size #3 is 12 gauge wire.

NAPA usually has the fusible link wire in stock, some of the other parts house may have to order it.

I normally cut the black connector off, use a uninsulated butt connector and heat shrink tubing to replace the burned section.

Attachments

Last edited:

that1028guy

Thank you very much Warthog! I got everything tonight, and got it all done and the truck is charging at 28.94 volts! I am so happy I didnt screw anything else up, stupid mistake that I wont repeat ever! Im going to pull the nagative post when I change oil! I will post pics soon.