• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UHaul Receiver Hitch on a M1009

stationjj

Yesterday I post something on repairing my pintle hook http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99885-Pintle-Hook-Repair

This got me thinking I have been wanting to add a receiver hitch to CUCV for a while that is versatile where I can attach different accessories to the receiver hitch. I already have the Pintle hook receiver end I got so I could tow the M101a2 with my Nissan Murano.

So I took the CUCV to UHaul for a look. I knew some modes would be needed, but wasn't exactly sure what. There a few previous post on SS, but what modes would need to be done the information wasn't exactly clear. Some of you can probably install a hitch with no problem. Myself since I have never installed a hitch I don't mind paying extra if it's installed right and it's safe.

Uhaul will install a new receiver hitch for $230. The hitch was $158, the rest is labor and taxes. The hitch is Class 3, 500 tongue, and 5000 overall.

There will be 2 modes needed to make a UHaul hitch fit a M1009.

1. You will have to cut off with a torch the ears where the safety chains latch into. That's ok as the new hitch will come with new safety chain hooks.
2. There is a 1.5 x .5 inch metal bar that attaches to each shackle mounts and onto the metal plate under your current Pintle hook and where the safety chain ears are. The shackle hooks are tied directly to the frame. From what I could see removing this bar doesn't disturb the shackle hooks tied to the frame. It looks to be cross support? Does removing this bar weaken the shackle hooks greatly?

Anyway I am considering having this hitch put in by UHaul. I will keep this post updated with Pictures as I go along.

stationjj

cpf240

I'd suggest using google to search this site for hitch info. There have been many threads about adding bolt-on hitches. Most (all) that I've read were able to bend the pintle chain ears so that they are parallel to the ground to clear the receiver hitch. As for the crossbar, I think that is there to add strength to the pintle hitch itself. Again though, many have found was to mod either the receiver hitch or the crossbar to be able to retain the crossbar, and in some cases add more strength to it.

I took my truck to a place that does nothing but hitches. That thing is so welded up in there its not coming out! Granted it cost about twice what u-haul quoted you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search for Barrman's receiver install. He left everything in place with some slight mods.

I gave him the hitch. I think he posted the model number.

You should attempt to install it yourself. It isn't too hard.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I would trust U-Haul to install a hitch like I'd trust Aamco to do transmission work or Midas to do muffler work.

In other words, NOT!

MarcusOReallyus

What's right with anything Uhaul? I have never rented a piece of equipment form them that was NOT a rolling junkpile, I have never seen any installation work from them what was anything close to competent.

Like Aamco and Midas, you may get the occasional shop that does decent and honest work, but that shop is the exception.

flighht2k5

Banned
It's a rental. People don't care about rentals. That's not uhauls fault.

If they installed a hitch and it failed I'm pretty sure it would be a lawsuit. I would have no fears in using a uhaul hitch.

I have had U-haul put a hitch on a vehicle before and it was professionally done. I agree with a previous post that they are a rental company and their stuff gets beat to **** by people.

MarcusOReallyus

It's a rental. People don't care about rentals. That's not uhauls fault.

Lousy maintenance IS their fault, and it's the norm for them. Running things waaaay past their safe life IS their fault, and it's the norm for them.

Doing incredibly bad work on installations is also the norm for them.

emr

Bashing U haul is silly, for everyone that had a bad one, there are those who have had good ones, Silly . As for a hitch, even u haul can do it for sure, have had many trucks that I had or installed hitches myself, u haul installed a few, fine job, As for Midas and AAmco really? You think they are all the same, one bad time and they all are junk, not so at all, Just keeping the record straight. The Midas by me I did not like, but many do, The AAmco by me has an awesome great guy running it and they are the top of the line, As for the norm for them, You just cant prove it, And they would not be doing it so long if it was. Period.

MarcusOReallyus

It's not about one bad time, it's about a long, pretty consistent track record. I'm sure there are good U-Haul shops here and there around the country, just like there are good Aamco and Midas shops around the country.

The overall picture is lousy. Crap work is the norm, good work is the exception. If you haven't been burned, good for you, but it's still the wrong bet to make.

Skinny

I think the actual hitch is probably OK as long as it is not one of their universal deals with the numerous holes for varying widths. I agree...uhaul sucks. It is a chain store that hires people with no experience and barely trains them. Every uhaul hitch I've seen was junk or the wiring was spliced in with the blue crimps to avoid soldering or using a proper weather tight solder less crimp. They are bargain basement. Buy the hitch and install it yourself or get one off amazon/flea bay. This is a do it yourself skill level...you can't mess it up any more than the monkey at uhaul.

stationjj

I haven't had any issues with my Uhaul store concerning there tow hitch installs. This Uhaul store installed the hitch on my Nissan Murano that just towed a M101a2 over 300 Miles with no issues. As for Uhaul rental I agree it is beat to He$$, but on the other hand rental things are.

Yes, installing a hitch is a DIY. The reason I am considering Uhaul is because I don't have a shop or the equipment to make this install easy. I don't have a air impact wrench. I bet anything the bolts that attach hitch to the frame or rusted and will need to replaced. I don't paying someone extra to deal with the headache of dealing with the rusted bolts.

This Uhaul shop took me in garage with the truck rear end raised up. This way I saw exact what needed to be done on the CUCV. Uhaul will not be installing the wiring. They are only doing the Hitch. I will deal with the wiring myself.

stationjj

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes me wonder, if the norm for Aamco and Midas is crap work, how do they stay in business? Seems that the common law of business balance would run them right out. It's not like they have a GL Monopoly. Same with U-Haul, how can they stay in business if everything they do is crap? Seriously, how much experience can one have with crap work from a business unless they keep going back. "Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me". There are idiots in every line of work and every line of unemployed folks.

Skinny

Makes me wonder, if the norm for Aamco and Midas is crap work, how do they stay in business? Seems that the common law of business balance would run them right out.
Under normal circumstances this would be true but no one these days cares about there car. Everyone wants the cheapest service and not necessarily the best...this is why places like this stay in business. Having come from a dealer service background, I never could understand people's logic. Yes, a dealer up front may be more expensive but if the experts can diagnose and fix it in a quicker time frame and actually get it right the first time, they are saving you money than having an untrained shop get it on the third time and charging you three times the amount of labor to learn how the system works.

Places like that stay in business because they are doing work on all the old junk no one cares about. I personally love places like this because it supplies me with work after they mess up the tune up, brakes, or wiring they hacked. Then I get to fix it and get paid.

stationjj

Well, I had Uhaul do a hitch for me. I am pleased with the work. The bolts were badly rusted and missing threads. It took 2 guys almost an hour to get these rusted bolts off.
It would have taken myself a lot longer to do the work. I didn't have Uhaul do the wiring.

Pictures Below;

IMG_0422.jpgIMG_0423.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks