• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UK Newbie factory paint finish question

tim292stro

Unfortunately there is no VIN plate anywhere around the drivers door or frame, nor any sign of one in the glove box (which stills seems to be factory-fresh finish). Unless I find a frame number, I don't think I'll ever find out what she truly is/was!...
...- The dash and front doors appear to be from the same vehicle as the gloss (military-esque shade) green matches. The dash also seems in far better condition than some of the rest of the truck so may have been a replacement. It has "Max speed 45mph" stenciled on it...
Sounds like the doors and dash came from a M1008.

...I reckon the [parts] come from at least 3 different vehicles, and there is evidence of there having been a lot of rot in the upper cab and door frames. The chassis seems to be in a better state than the body, so maybe the vehicle has been re-framed. I noted at least 6 different types of green paint (which does suggest many repairs and also not untypical of vehicles which have seen military use) and a faded CARC stencil on the bonnet...
Yes, rust in cab corners (top of pillars), rocker panels (the body skin right below the doors) are all notorious for rust if the truck sees wet weather or snow. You don't get any of that over there in the UK do you :whistle: :beer: The repair work seems to have been done pretty well, so that's the important part.

...The important thing for me is that the VIN number matches all my UK registration documentation, so no issues there. The documentation suggests that she was registered when sold from a scrap yard, so prior to that was in the UK unregistered, which would support what I was told about it coming from an air base where use on public roads was not required (so no prior UK registration). If I find the frame number I will update.
Frame numbers on on the top of the frame rail, (between the body and the frame) - you'll need a mirror to see them usually, and if the frame is dirty or painted with a thick coating like POR15 (Paint Over Rust, converter) they'll be essentially impossible to read. I agree, as long as your truck is the only one in there system that has that VIN, and the truck is sound, scrap yards assemble from parts all the time out here in the Colonies.

View attachment 576868How about some pictures of the instrument cluster and the gun racks behind the drivers seat. Is the center floor tunnel fitted for a fire extinguisher bracket? Does the back have the floor mounted fuel can hump. Up front the frame is doubled at the lift bracket attachments. These doubled frame pieces are riveted onto the frame with the same rivets that hold the spring mounts. They are the frame reinforcements in the picture at about 11 o clock. It does not matter to me what you have. If it works and drives run it for all its worth. I am just trying to help solve the hodge podge of parts that may be fixed and fitted together to make your machine. Thanks for looking.
I don't see it pointed out earlier - the US Air Force uses a lot of vehicles contracted for solely by them, that are not "standard" military vehicles. They will have off-the-shelf civilian type vehicles modified according to their desire. Yours could very easily be an original USAF vehicle, even if it is not a standard M1009...
I think we've successfully determined it was assembled from parts by a mechanic at a scrap yard, there are portions from various CUCV's and maybe some civilian parts mixed in. So it will be accurate (but a little bit of a stretch) to say that the vehicle was used by the military - it wasn't likely to be used as he currently possesses it. CVRTkid, you can say that your truck has at least twice the military experience as most other trucks, think of it like an Air Force pilot giving their heart, and an Army Sgt giving their lungs, so a Marine can live and fight another day!! [thumbzup]

No matter what it turns out to be, it IS a nice truck CVRTkid, drive with pride. [thumbzup]
Totally agree here. A fresh coat of NATO 3-color or Green after those badges come off, and I don't think anyone but a collector will be able to tell. If you're interested in finishing what the mechanic started, there are tons of NOS CUCV parts to complete the configuration - if that's at all interesting to you.