• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Un-muffled 6.2

Anyone running their 6.2's without mufflers? I have to rearrange my exhaust due to the shackle flip lift and was weighing the options. I've heard uncorking the diesels makes them run quite a bit better but I am new to the fuel oil burners other than in my Kubota. :wink:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read any of the 114 threads that come up with an advanced search for "mufflers" in the CUCV forum?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sure, you'll gain about 1 to 2hp cutting the mufflers off and make it totally unbearable to drive. Even more so if we're talking about a M1008 and an engine that revs over 3K rpm just going down the road. As a side bonus, you'll gain the attention of every police officer around. I bet you'd even have one ask for your autograph possibly. :whistle:

Keith_J

Minimal improvement, the exhaust is already dual and more than sufficient for naturally aspirated.

Turbocharged trucks can get by without a muffler because the turbine absorbs the sonic energy and converts it to mechanical energy which then goes to compressing the intake air.. Temperature also drops over the turbine which also reduces losses through the muffler.

Sure, you'll gain about 1 to 2hp cutting the mufflers off and make it totally unbearable to drive. Even more so if we're talking about a M1008 and an engine that revs over 3K rpm just going down the road. As a side bonus, you'll gain the attention of every police officer around. I bet you'd even have one ask for your autograph possibly. :whistle:
While researching this, didn't I see your truck on a YouTube video with the mufflers cut off? Didn't like it after all huh? Good to know. Thank you.

Kieth, that makes sense. I guess the guys talking it up have turbos. Thanks for your opinions. I'm leaning toward Matt's suggestion and retaining everything until the final bend where the pipes and springs don't get along.

Mike

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Minimal improvement, the exhaust is already dual and more than sufficient for naturally aspirated.

Turbocharged trucks can get by without a muffler because the turbine absorbs the sonic energy and converts it to mechanical energy which then goes to compressing the intake air.. Temperature also drops over the turbine which also reduces losses through the muffler.
Not to split hairs but... The turbo reduces exhaust noise due to the"strainer" the soundwaves have to pass through. And it's actually converting thermal energy into kinetic energy. (The thermal expasion of the exhaust spins the turbine shaft that causes the compressor wheel to compress incoming air) It's possible that a negligible amount of sonic energy might covert to kinetic energy.

Tanner

No real gains in performance on a 6.2 - you hit a point of diminishing returns. And to let you know - the 40 hp increase injectors are a myth. I'll save you some time...

'Tanner'

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While researching this, didn't I see your truck on a YouTube video with the mufflers cut off? Didn't like it after all huh? Good to know. Thank you.

Kieth, that makes sense. I guess the guys talking it up have turbos. Thanks for your opinions. I'm leaning toward Matt's suggestion and retaining everything until the final bend where the pipes and springs don't get along.

Mike

Wasn't my truck. But I have had a gas engine without mufflers once. I had straight pipe running from the headers back to the bumper. I drove around the block ONE time and came back to cut the pipes and install mufflers.

FWIW, my 1008 is turbo'ed and I have a 3" glasspack muffler as well. My dodge has a 5" straight pipe (Cummins diesel), and it's annoying.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the turbine absorbs the sonic energy and converts it to mechanical energy
Is there a similar device that converts BS into fact? (other than the Internet)

BigRix

Well I didn't have it uncorked, but I had cherry bombs on mine when I bought it. I think it is much faster now that I have mufflers and full exhaust on it. I can actually push the "Loud Pedal" all the way down if I want too now. Before, I had to barely push it down so I could hear myself think.

rwoods

I purchased my 1008 from a high school kid. Between test driving it and making the deal, he cut the mufflers off. If I were still a kid, I would have left it that way as it sounded like you were accelerating at about three times the actual rate. Fortunately, he had tossed the old mufflers in the bed (flowmasters). I took it back to the same muffler shop and had them welded back in place. Still a little loud - but no discernible power difference. Ron

I ran out to arizona from new jersey 2 years ago in my 95 chevy with the 6.5 turbo diesel with nothing but the down pipe on. it was ridiculously loud but never got pulled over and as for a power increase i cant say, since i was driving around with a blown head gasket and cracked heads for months before that... so it had alot more power when i fixed that problem. now i have this muffler that i cant imagine does much its 4" and you can see straight thru it but i think it sounds pretty good not too loud in the cab anymore since the exhaust doesnt end under the passenger seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks